A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I am going to buy blu ray player Panasonic DP-UB820, Any opinion about it or do i have another (better) options? Do I need expensive 4K cable to watch movies in 4k?

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
You can buy HDMI cable for $10 or $99. It is worth to pay extra money? What do I need to consider when buying HDMI cable? It should be 2.1 or 2.0> it needs to have standard or high speed, etc. etc. Thank you for directing me to monoprice.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It is worth to pay extra money?
no
What do I need to consider when buying HDMI cable?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15427&seq=1&format=2
That simple. It's certified by HDMI.org to be what it says it is. Go to their site and read more.

A lot of cable manufacturers are trying to rob you blind, for the most part.

I've purchased all my cable from Monoprice.
Monoprice Choice 12AWG for my speakers.
Monoprice Affinity Banana Plugs
Monoprice High Quality Subwoofer Cable/Digital Coax
Monoprice Cat6A Ethernet cable
And the 8channel Ethernet unmanaged switcher
They all work just fine.

Try it. Its not like your losing anything if you throw it out and then drop $500 on a 1meter length of audioquest cr@p. Well, except maybe common sense and your budget. ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm think this Panasonic doesn’t play DVD-Audio. It’s cool it can do HDR10+ though.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I am going to buy blu ray player Panasonic DP-UB820, Any opinion about it or do i have another (better) options? Do I need expensive 4K cable to watch movies in 4k?
Looks like a very nice choice. If money was no object I'd go with the Oppo 203/205 but way overpriced due to supply and demand.

Cons
  • No SACD or DVD-Audio playback
  • Netflix app always outputs in HDR/DV
  • Issues with Atmos from Netflix and Amazon
https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-dp-ub820-review.15619

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like a very nice choice. If money was no object I'd go with the Oppo 203/205 but way overpriced due to supply and demand.

Cons
  • No SACD or DVD-Audio playback
  • Netflix app always outputs in HDR/DV
  • Issues with Atmos from Netflix and Amazon
https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-dp-ub820-review.15619
I thought this one did support DSD so that meant SACD. Or did they mean something different by DSD since SACD itself isn’t mentioned?

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Or did they mean something different by DSD since SACD itself isn’t mentioned?
They must mean something different. I was under the impression that DSD was created for SACD playback. I think DSD was developed Panasonic back in the day.

As I've said before, I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 203 at MSRP about two years ago:mad:. It will be interesting to see what else emerges in the next year or two in terms of disc players to fill the Oppo gap. For me I just loved that metal chassis and the toroidal transformer. So I'm still using my Xbox as my blu ray player, no immediate need to upgrade anytime soon as I have an old sharp tv from 8 years ago. you might find this interesting:
https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-blu-ray-player-shootout-xbox-one-s-vs-samsung-vs-sony-vs-oppo/
Beside the load times and interface I wonder if there be a difference in SQ on the Xbox vs 203? I'm guessing probably not. Although I've read that some say there was a night and day difference in SQ when they got their new 205's in.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They must mean something different. I was under the impression that DSD was created for SACD playback. I think DSD was developed Panasonic back in the day.

As I've said before, I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 203 at MSRP about two years ago:mad:. It will be interesting to see what else emerges in the next year or two in terms of disc players to fill the Oppo gap. For me I just loved that metal chassis and the toroidal transformer. So I'm still using my Xbox as my blu ray player, no immediate need to upgrade anytime soon as I have an old sharp tv from 8 years ago. you might find this interesting:
https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-blu-ray-player-shootout-xbox-one-s-vs-samsung-vs-sony-vs-oppo/
Beside the load times and interface I wonder if there be a difference in SQ on the Xbox vs 203? I'm guessing probably not. Although I've read that some say there was a night and day difference in SQ when they got their new 205's in.
No support for HDR10+ on Sony

The 2019 latest version of the Sony x800m2 has Dolby Vision and SACD and DVD-Audio. Not sure what 5.1 audio formats Netflix and Prime support.

My older 2017 Sony x800 doesn’t have Dolby Vision but has SACD and DVD Audio. Netflix is just plain DD 4K and no HDR and Prime is DD+ 4K with HDR10.

My not quite as old, 2018 Sony x700 in my bedroom doesn’t have DVD-Audio but it has SACD and Dolby Vision. Netflix is just plain DD 4K and Prime is DD+ 4K HDR10.

Edit: For my streamer for my Atmos 5.1.4 in my theater room, I’m starting with an Apple 4K TV for Netflix and Prime so I can get Atmos over DD+.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis