Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
anyone ever use this? have anything good or bad to say about it? thanks

A

aajj012345

Audiophyte
I do own that player. It performs wonderfully but I am having an issue with Dolby True HD codec. I am not sure if it is the player or my receiver. naturally both tech support teams blame the other. Does anyone have any insight as to why I am not getting the Dobly True HD signal?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I do own that player. It performs wonderfully but I am having an issue with Dolby True HD codec. I am not sure if it is the player or my receiver. naturally both tech support teams blame the other. Does anyone have any insight as to why I am not getting the Dobly True HD signal?
Welcome to the forum! I suggest that you start a new thread on this topic, so that Hostility's thread doesn't get hijacked. We'd be happy to try to help you out with that.

A

aajj012345

Audiophyte
I am not sure as to how to do this. Could you let me know? Thanks.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I am not sure as to how to do this. Could you let me know? Thanks.
I'll do my best to answer your question in that other thread that you posted in. It's old enough that no one is going to care that it got hijacked. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm pretty sure that I picked up a Sound & Vision magazine a couple of weeks ago and this player got listed in the top 10 products of the year. That prompted me to do a search here at AH and I got to read about everybody going ga ga over it. I was soon disgusted and stopped reading because I couldn't afford one. Now I am back to lusting after the yet to be released Oppo because it is a universal player and by the time it's released I may just be able to afford it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I have no complaints so far. Mine passes the hi res audio over HDMI no problemo:D

It does and will need firmware updates from time to time.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
yea it sells for $499 right now. i was thinking either this or the pioneer elite, but i compared both, and this one seems a lot better. and i dont really care to much if my thread gets hijacked as if he has a problem with it, i would kind of like to know, the more i know about this unit the better i have of making my choice, but i have a price watch on this item so i can watch for when it goes on sale!. thanks

M

murl

Full Audioholic
My old boss owns an electronics store and he was told the player was being discontinued. The one to follow it, which I assume will be the Panasonic DMP-BD60, should be released in April. Which explains why these things are so high right now. I am using my friends Sony BDP-s550 and I think it works pretty well. I am using the 7.1 analog outs for the Audio, and I can't put my finger on it, but my sub doesn't sound the same.

D

drdawg

Junior Audioholic
Difference from the 35 model?

Hey what is the difference with this player versus the older 35 version?

M

murl

Full Audioholic
One of the biggest is the 35 doesn't have 7.1 analog out for those receivers that don't decode the newer audio formats.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
would you need that if the receiver did all the decoding?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
would you need that if the receiver did all the decoding?
If the receiver can do the decoding I would advise against the analogs, simply for the reason that no player, with the possible exception of an above $1000 one will do bass management better than any receiver.

Murl, I think you did put your finger on it; I'm not sure what the cross-over of the Sony is but I'm pretty sure the Pannys are set at 100Hz. The Sony is probably close to that. That would explain why your sub sounds different considering it's dealing with frequencies you're not used to hearing from it.

Last edited:
Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
yea you would just hook it up just like any other dvd player. also, im new to the hdmi thing, does hdmi only send video signal or audio also? or do you just hook up usiong coax or optical? and still get the dd hd and dts hd?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
yea it sells for $499 right now. i was thinking either this or the pioneer elite, but i compared both, and this one seems a lot better. and i dont really care to much if my thread gets hijacked as if he has a problem with it, i would kind of like to know, the more i know about this unit the better i have of making my choice, but i have a price watch on this item so i can watch for when it goes on sale!. thanks
If you can wait until April when the new ones come out, maybe they will be lower in price, one or the other.
Way back when, the 55 has a very nice sale in conjunction with Warner, so I got it for $308 and with 4 BDs. I jumped on that deal:D

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
oh ya ill be waiting untill summer fall im thinking unless they have a good sale on and i have the extra cash.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
also, what would be a better player, this one or the ps3? i have someone bugging me about me wanting to buy this over a ps3

M

murl

Full Audioholic
yea you would just hook it up just like any other dvd player. also, im new to the hdmi thing, does hdmi only send video signal or audio also? or do you just hook up usiong coax or optical? and still get the dd hd and dts hd?
No you would need to send the audio and video over HDMI if your receiver decodes it, or if it will accept 7.1 analog over HDMI, from my understanding this is the only way the PS3 will send it, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The optical and coaxial cables don't have enough bandwith to carry an uncompressed audio signal.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
also, what would be a better player, this one or the ps3? i have someone bugging me about me wanting to buy this over a ps3
I like the idea of the player better, that and if your going green the PS3 sucks down about 3x as much electricity ;)

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
well im not to worried on power part, obv the lower energy the better. but im talking quality, of audio and video from the player to the ps3, obv the ps3 has the advantage of playing games also. but in my situation i am leaning to better overall quality. if there isnt much of a difference then it might even be worth going for the ps3?

also wondering if you get DD true hd and DTS hd through the ps3?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis