Panasonic back in the TV game

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

Panasonic announced that they will be producing TVs again with OLED and mini-LED displays and using the Fire TV interface.
Announcement here.

C-Net has already put up a first look at the high-end Z95A 65" display. The picture appears to be on par with the Samsung S95 and LG C4 but costs several hundred dollars more. The stand out feature is the multitude of speakers built in, making the TV thicker but boasting superior sound. The headphone jack also doubles as a subwoofer output so you can add a subwoofer without the need for a sound bar. Might interest those that do not want a sound bar but at that price point how many would not be using an AVR? Rather than develop their own streaming interface, they opted to use Fire TV. It's still nice to see them return to the market. I have a Panasonic plasma in operation and they are still good TVs today.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Panasonic announced that they will be producing TVs again with OLED and mini-LED displays and using the Fire TV interface.
Announcement here.

C-Net has already put up a first look at the high-end Z95A 65" display. The picture appears to be on par with the Samsung S95 and LG C4 but costs several hundred dollars more. The stand out feature is the multitude of speakers built in, making the TV thicker but boasting superior sound. The headphone jack also doubles as a subwoofer output so you can add a subwoofer without the need for a sound bar. Might interest those that do not want a sound bar but at that price point how many would not be using an AVR? Rather than develop their own streaming interface, they opted to use Fire TV. It's still nice to see them return to the market. I have a Panasonic plasma in operation and they are still good TVs today.
Sounds ready made to give Amazon a foothold at the premium side of the display field.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Announcement here.

I am pleased to hear that as far as it goes. However, I really don't want to pay for a bunch of speakers I will never use.

The bigger issue is that, they had better open up some service centers again. Recently their after sales service has become non existent. On trying to help a member with a repair of his high end disc player, I found Panasonic after sales service was non existent.

If you are going to sell high end OLED TVs and others you had better have easy access to excellent after sales service, or get a really well deserved bad reputation.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Announcement here.

I think that Panasonic never stopped manufacturing TV sets. They just suspended sales of TVs in North America several years ago, and they also had announced around 2020 that they would reinstate their sales in NA at that time but never did.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think that Panasonic never stopped manufacturing TV sets. They just suspended sales of TVs in North America several years ago, and they also had announced around 2020 that they would reinstate their sales in NA at that time but never did.
They stopped around 2013 or so if I remember correctly. I was bummed.

This sounds good, but the FireTV interface is hot garbage. My cheapo kid TVs have it, and the amount of times I have to do something to it because the remote has an update, or something else dumb, makes me want to take a hammer to it.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I'm still hoping that Pioneer rethinks its exit from the TV game.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm still hoping that Pioneer rethinks its exit from the TV game.
Can they even come back and still make a profit? Much (most?) of the old Pioneer is just gone along with many of their patents and know how.

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Can they even come back and still make a profit? Much (most?) of the old Pioneer is just gone along with many of their patents and know how.
One can dream.....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's good Panasonic will make a new insertion into the US market. They have been very well reviewed with their models over the years and throughout Europe the Panasonic displays are often reviewed as some of the best that are on the market. Panasonic's issues have been simply with distribution from what I've heard. They just haven't had a good track record with getting their stuff out to the US market while staying profitable.

I have no interest in Pioneer anymore as the OLED products we are seeing are truly well built from a number of manufacturers and I'm not sure what Pioneer would bring to the game for overall quality. Another option for sure, but not sure that they can up the game anymore than we have already seen. Certainly not while being profitable.

Thumbs up on being able to buy Panasonic again. They have been one of my favorite brands for years.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In 2 years from now, unless my 15 year old Panasonic plasma set dies before then, I might be interested in getting a new Panny OLED set as replacement, if it's available then in Canada.
My decision will depend on the existence of authorized Panasonic's after sales service outlets, as well as competitive prices with the LG products.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In 2 years from now, unless my 15 year old Panasonic plasma set dies before then, I might be interested in getting a new Panny OLED set as replacement, if it's available then in Canada.
My decision will depend on the existence of authorized Panasonic's after sales service outlets, as well as competitive prices with the LG products.
FWIW, I'm really happy with my LG C4, only a few weeks old: really nice display. Beyond that, I'm still getting used to the interface but am thus far liking webOS over the Android interface of our Sonys. I've never played with Fire (I know... plenty of jokes in that...), but from everything I've heard it is far from desirable.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I am pleased to hear that as far as it goes. However, I really don't want to pay for a bunch of speakers I will never use.
First, I'm glad to hear Pany is back in the game. They always make quality products.

However, I'm actually glad they're putting some emphasis on sound. Agree, on my main system I don't care. But I also have smaller flat screen tv's in my bedroom and in my workout room. The sound on both of them is absolutely horrible. In either location I don't need or want to add a sound system or even a soundbar. Better native built-in sound would be great.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
First, I'm glad to hear Pany is back in the game. They always make quality products.

However, I'm actually glad they're putting some emphasis on sound. Agree, on my main system I don't care. But I also have smaller flat screen tv's in my bedroom and in my workout room. The sound on both of them is absolutely horrible. In either location I don't need or want to add a sound system or even a soundbar. Better native built-in sound would be great.
Before my LG OLED that I bought a few years ago I had a Panasonic plasma for about eight or nine years, and was generally happy with it but the picture quality on the OLED is far better (except, perhaps motion).

As for TV speaker sounds: I generally find them unlistenable now that I'm so used to much better sound from my surround setup I've had for many years.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Before my LG OLED that I bought a few years ago I had a Panasonic plasma for about eight or nine years, and was generally happy with it but the picture quality on the OLED is far better (except, perhaps motion).

As for TV speaker sounds: I generally find them unlistenable now that I'm so used to much better sound from my surround setup I've had for many years.
The fact that the LG is a 4K set while the Panasonic isn't makes most of the improvement in picture quality.

I have a 15 year old Panasonic plasma which is still running well.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The fact that the LG is a 4K set while the Panasonic isn't makes most of the improvement in picture quality.

I have a 15 year old Panasonic plasma which is still running well.
I didn't mention 4K over 1080p in my post for a reason. :) The biggest for me (pun intended) is the far superior black levels where black is black and not grey. The 55" LG OLED is only a little bigger than the older 42" Panasonic plasma, another plus. The color space is noticeable larger and Dolby Vision is very nice.

A downside side is the pink cast seen on white, but I don't watch much of such content (say, ice hockey) so not a bother. Same goes for motion blur.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic

I wasn't refereeing to picture quality. Having worked for Japanese, American, and Dutch companies, I can tell you firsthand that Japanese company's put the greatest emphasis on product quality. Of course, this is PPM stat. Some lemons do squeak by.

Eight or nine years from now I'm sure your next tv will have a better quality picture;)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I wasn't refereeing to picture quality. Having worked for Japanese, American, and Dutch companies, I can tell you firsthand that Japanese company's put the greatest emphasis on product quality. Of course, this is PPM stat. Some lemons do squeak by.

Eight or nine years from now I'm sure your next tv will have a better quality picture;)
I sure hope there is some progress, like better motion handling as well as better color and light uniformity! Perhaps even microLED will be ready for prime time in larger sizes, even for a PC monitor size.

As for quality (like you referred to in your post) my LG OLED still works fine after a few years but I expect to discard it and buy new if it breaks due to expected repair costs.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't mention 4K over 1080p in my post for a reason. :) The biggest for me (pun intended) is the far superior black levels where black is black and not grey. The 55" LG OLED is only a little bigger than the older 42" Panasonic plasma, another plus. The color space is noticeable larger and Dolby Vision is very nice.
That's strange as on my 2008 assembled in Mexico 50 inch Panasonic plasma, the blacks have always been black, as black as the whole set frame.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis