Panasonic 42" EDTV ( TH-42PD25U/P ) - Viewing Up Close :(

lgriffin

Audiophyte
Hello,

I recently purchased a 42" Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P EDTV from Wells Digital online. I am running a brand new Sony progressive scan DVD player from Circuit City to this unit directly via some Monster brand component cables. Here is my question which I can't seem to answer via googling.

Up close ( 6 inches away ) especially in dark scenes, there is alot of like dithered looking spots, or dots, i guess would be the right word. You don't notice these dots when your sitting on the couch 6 feet away, but only when you get up close to the screen.

Is something wrong with my EDTV, or is this just the way it is? Do i have a crappy DVD player? I have no idea why the picture looks this way. My only guess is that it's the DVD player? Can someone direct me to an article or some more information describing this situation? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

- lgriffin

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
You're seeing the screen door...ie the pixel pattern. Just sit back at six or seven feet and enjoy :)

Mort

Don't sit that close. Go look at a Faroudja or Runco plasma from 6" away and you'll see some of the same thing. (no, I'm not comparing them to this model)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is very - VERY normal. Nothing to worry about unless you regularly view your plasma at 6". I have seen the same effect on every single plasma I have ever installed and it is definitely most noticable on gradient backgrounds where the entire background shifts from say - light blue to dark blue - or from black to dark gray. You see a definite dithering pattern as if the plasma can't handle all the colors it is receiving smoothly.

I have never nailed down whether this is in fact dithering from the source material, or if it is a limitation of plasma displays, but I have seen it on at least 100 or more different plasmas in all price ranges.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis