tech_freak

tech_freak

Junior Audioholic
Thinking about picking it up.Anyone have it to give me some input?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Why do you think you need a power conditioner?

tech_freak

tech_freak

Junior Audioholic
A new toy, needed or not ;):D
:D and it would look cool on my entertainment center.
All kidding aside,I already have a surge protector(Tripp Lite) that has everything plugged into it.
I was talking to a guy at the local home theater store and he mentioned to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to use one.He really didn't go into detail as to why or didn't even really push one on me to buy either.:confused:
Having it sit on the shelf instead of having the surge protector sitting behind the entertainment center would help clean up some clutter too,I guess.I only have my Receiver,TV,Satellite,BluRay,Sub and Xbox hooked up to the Tripp Lite.
If you guys don't think I need one,then that would be cool.Let me know.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just a note on having it in your entertainment center - depending on ease of access to the back of your components, you might find that plugging/unplugging things is more difficult than it is with the Tripp Lite...or not. That was something that I hadn't thought about before buying my Belkin power console, and it was a pain to get things connected in my old entertainment center. I have a much more open component rack now, so it's no problem getting to the back of it.

tech_freak

tech_freak

Junior Audioholic
Just a note on having it in your entertainment center - depending on ease of access to the back of your components, you might find that plugging/unplugging things is more difficult than it is with the Tripp Lite...or not. That was something that I hadn't thought about before buying my Belkin power console, and it was a pain to get things connected in my old entertainment center. I have a much more open component rack now, so it's no problem getting to the back of it.
Nice point. I believe I would be ok though. My ent. center is fairly open(no doors)in the front and in the back where I would have it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
A new toy, needed or not ;):D
Can't argue with that logic :D
:D and it would look cool on my entertainment center.
All kidding aside,I already have a surge protector(Tripp Lite) that has everything plugged into it.
I was talking to a guy at the local home theater store and he mentioned to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to use one.He really didn't go into detail as to why or didn't even really push one on me to buy either.:confused:
Having it sit on the shelf instead of having the surge protector sitting behind the entertainment center would help clean up some clutter too,I guess.I only have my Receiver,TV,Satellite,BluRay,Sub and Xbox hooked up to the Tripp Lite.
If you guys don't think I need one,then that would be cool.Let me know.
I have to say that my APC S15 is pretty sweet. It looks real cool, gives me some interesting information, and it protects all my equipment. I know what everyone says about power conditioners and how they don't do anything (and I have to say in many instances they don't really) by I noticed significantly less noise through the tweeter YMMV

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had a 4300 (pre-PM), currently have a 5100 and an APC H10. The APC is noisier when it is doing things (I can often hear it clicking when things turn on or off) but otherwise it has been a solid unit. The Panamax units are a lot better built and offer a much higher replacement value against damaged gear, but thus far, performance is the same. I don't notice any difference in audio but when I first installed it, I definitely noticed less noise in my video.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have to say I looked at a few different panamax line conditioners and I wouldn't put their build quality aged of my APC. I forget how much the APC covers (monetarily) but I have yet to run into a warranty that wouldn't cover everything I would/do have it plugged into. I know Panamax has the $5,000,000 guarantee but it might as well be a billion since I don't have enough or expensive enough things plugged into it to ever touch that amount YMMV

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have to say I looked at a few different panamax line conditioners and I wouldn't put their build quality aged of my APC. I forget how much the APC covers (monetarily) but I have yet to run into a warranty that wouldn't cover everything I would/do have it plugged into. I know Panamax has the $5,000,000 guarantee but it might as well be a billion since I don't have enough or expensive enough things plugged into it to ever touch that amount YMMV
Yep, I know, the difference between $150K and $5 million is little difference, since both are still more than what my system cost by far too. When I say build quality is better, the Panamax have better enclosures and I've seen the inside of both. My H10 broke during shipping, though it did take apparently a relatively big hit. Still, I expect something that has no moving parts not to be so easily damaged - one of the PCBs broke off more than one of its mounts because they were cheap plastic ones. To give it some praise though, once I replaced the standoffs, the APC still works just fine.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yep, I know, the difference between $150K and $5 million is little difference, since both are still more than what my system cost by far too. When I say build quality is better, the Panamax have better enclosures and I've seen the inside of both. My H10 broke during shipping, though it did take apparently a relatively big hit. Still, I expect something that has no moving parts not to be so easily damaged - one of the PCBs broke off more than one of its mounts because they were cheap plastic ones. To give it some praise though, once I replaced the standoffs, the APC still works just fine.
I have to say I've never seen the H or J series up close so I have no idea what the build quality is on those models, but the S15 that I have is a 60+ lb monster. If i hit it with a shovel I'd probably be more likely to dent the shovel :D

At least you got it fixed, that's always a good thing. No call to whatever shipping company to complain?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
At least you got it fixed, that's always a good thing. No call to whatever shipping company to complain?
Bought it supposedly new, unopened off a person here. It was damaged when it arrived and the seller didn't respond for a long time to my contacts. The box was badly damaged and there was some damage to the case, not to mention though it was the original box, it was clearly not factory sealed nor brand new. Called UPS and they said the seller had to make the claim because he DID NOT INSURE IT. Long story short, nothing ever happened...but I fixed it myself and at the end of the day, it works.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I've had a panamax 5400 for a while..... does the job. Nothing comes to mind about it, so I guess that means it works well.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... I know Panamax has the $5,000,000 guarantee but it might as well be a billion since I don't have enough or expensive enough things plugged into it to ever touch that amount YMMV
Just wondering all the hoops one needs to jump through to have that guarantee pay off. Your home insurance is the primary party to pay according to the small prints I have seen on these components. So, perhaps they pay the deductible.;):D
Mine is certainly not a $5 mil deductible.:p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Just wondering all the hoops one needs to jump through to have that guarantee pay off. Your home insurance is the primary party to pay according to the small prints I have seen on these components. So, perhaps they pay the deductible.;):D
Probably quite a few. I shudder to think about it :eek: This makes me want to check out all the fine print on my APC now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, depends on what the failure was, and I am sure there are a LOT of situations where they are going to loop hole out of payment. That said, things like improper hookup would be perfectly valid (meaning some gear is connected and others not, providing a path for destructive power).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis