P Gabriels play video's dvd 5db volume limit???

G

genesis471

Audioholic
P Gabriels play video's dvd volume issue???

Not sure if this has happened to anyone on the board, but I just got Peter Gabriels Play (videos) dvd. I have a Denon 3910 and 3805 and it is triggering my 3805 putting a 5db volume limit cap! This happens with not one other dvd out of the 150 dvd's I have. Anyone have an idea what's happening here?

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Last edited:
supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I have this DVD as well, and I've noticed that it plays much louder than other DVDs when on the same volume setting. I have to play it softer than other DVDs, partly because of that, and partly because I don't have a big living room; the speakers aren't terribly far away from the couch. Maybe there's some weird setting in the 3805 that activates to try to prevent possible hearing loss? Wish I could help. But the DVD is awesome, isn't it? :)

cheers,
supervij

EDIT: By your handle, I take it you're a Genesis fan. You may have already heard this, but it's news to me: the early albums (pre '76) are being released on multichannel SACD! I'm so juiced about this; it's gonna be great!

G

genesis471

Audioholic
Hi Supervij, interesting problem I guess... excellent dvd indeed! Seems to work fine for you if you have to decrease normal volume levels. This is weird. My 3805 even displays 5db in small print in the upper right hand corner of the display screen... doesn't do this with other dvd's. Strange.

You are correct as far as Genesis and my handle. Also the SACD's forthcoming are to be a sure treat! According to Nick Davis, Genesis sound engineer, The Lamb is done (has been done for over a year and PG had a very big say on the surround mix), Trick of the Tail is done, Invisible Touch is just about done, and I think he is working on Nursery Cryme now. The plan is to remix every G album (Pete & Phil era's) in 5.1, for sacd or dvd-a. Also, they are digitizing every single concert they ever played with the exception of one's that the DAT's are bad.
The only not so good news is that nobody can give an idea of when any of this stuff might see a release date... sad really.
I can't wait to hear The Musical Box, Firth of Fifth, Cinema Show and Supper's Ready to name a few in 5.1!

One more thing, if you like Phil era Genesis, get The Video's dvd when it is released (I'm assuming you're in the US or North America, if not its available for you in whatever country) unless your dvd player plays NTSC Region 2, or PAL. Mine does so I bought it. NTSC Reg 1 to be out in the fall in the US. The video's are what they are, but the sound is by far the best I have heard in 5.1 this side of the Dark Side of the Moon sacd! Well worth it!

Take care,

Mike

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Mike, I'm almost ashamed to say that when I read your post, I waved my arms over my head and screamed like a girl. That is so cool! I thought it was just Pete's era that was being redone. So all of them except for Calling All Stations? (An underrated album, I think; three or four really terrific songs on there.) I am so juiced. You named all the right songs, but can you imagine a cleaned up The Knife in surround? I'm nearly peeing my pants in excitement! Yeah, the wait is gonna be unbearable. But I knew there was a reason I got that universal player!

Oh yeah, I'll definitely be getting The Videos DVD when it comes out. I get such a kick out of multichannel music, and Genesis music always seemed perfect for it; it's about time we get some from the lads.

I wish I could help regarding your 3805. All I can guess is that it activates to prevent the receiver from melting your speakers. Does it happen only on the DTS stream, or on the Dolby Digital and Stereo streams as well? A very quick perusal of the manual didn't reveal anything about it; recheck your manual -- I may have missed something. The upper right hand corner of the display shows the current volume level -- you're not playing the DVD at +5 dB, are you? :D

Sorry, Mike. Wish I could help. Post the question in the A/V Receivers section; you're more likely to find a fellow 3805 owner there.

cheers,
supervij

G

genesis471

Audioholic
Supervij,

thanks for the input, I'll certainly drop a post in the A/V section.

As far as The Knife in 5.1, I am drueling all over myself just thinking about it lol! Calling All Stations.. I really like Shipwrecked (plus its on the Video's dvd! and sounds awesome). You're right, highly underated probably due to stingy american audiences, who know's! Anyhow, as far as I know, they are going to do that one in sacd as well. I forgot to mention it when I said all of the catalog will be remixed.
Oh and yes, and the 5db limit... only a problem in the dts stream!
If I were to listen to ANYTHING at 5db's, I wouldn't have any hearing left, you hear me:) That's what's weird about it. I can turn it up to 5db's and is like the equivelent of -40... not very loud at all.

I even switched over to the analog inputs, same issue!
Odd though, the menu (and 30 second audio loop) is at regular volume! Wtf?

Hey, let me know when you get the Video show's dvd. I hope that Clint and Gene review it... at least Gene should he's a big G fan.

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis