Outlaw separates vs. receiver?

W

wasabi

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I need help. I've been reading these forums for a while and still have problems trying to figure out the separates vs. receiver question, so I'm hoping I can get some advice.

I have a pair of Magneplanar MGIIIa's that I love. I plan on adding an MGCC3 center speaker and a pair of MGMC1 speakers for my surrounds as well as a Hsu VTF3-II to complete my theater. What I don't know is how to drive all these things.

I've been using an Adcom 555 amp and preamp as well as a Luxman tuner, all of which is about 15 years old. I've had the amp repaired twice and would like to upgrade all the electronics. I used to listen to music exclusively on the system, but now probably use it much more for theater.

I have a budget of around $2000-2500 for either separates or a receiver. That kind of money seems steep to me, but doesn't buy a lot in separates other than the Outlaw 755 (5x200 watts) and the Outlaw pre/pro 950. Those units have gotten great reviews, but seem to have very few bells and whistles. The maggies seem to require a pretty large amp section. Is there anyone that has had good luck with receivers in this price range? Any other separates to consider?

Many thanks in advance!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Im not familiar with Outlaw equipment. B&amp;K comes to mind but for a 5x200 amp only, your looking at $2200-$2500, &amp; thats a sale price. May be cheaper online.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I purchased the Outlaw Pre as a result of stuff I read here and so far am very satisfied with it. &nbsp;(Thank you indeed Audioholics.) &nbsp;I've read the notes about lack of bells and whistles, but I have to say, even as it stands its the most complicated piece of equipment I've ever set up, and I struggle a bit to see what all the bells and whistles are for. &nbsp;Further, the folks here doing the evaluating seem to place a fair amount of importance on including future compatible features on equipment. &nbsp;That's great if its free, but I'm sure its not. &nbsp;For example, 1394 spec hookups. &nbsp;I'm not even sure what its for, but the Outlaw gets knocked for not having it. &nbsp;I've got it on my TV, but have never used it and find the manufacturers explanations wholly opaque. &nbsp;

My point is, make sure you only pay for what you need.

As to your amp needs, I'd suggest used power amp from Ebay or Audiogon. &nbsp;Most people seem to agree that there's been less techno improvement in amps than almost anywhere else. &nbsp;Your existing amp should be fine for rear channels or center if you're going theater (remember the Outlaw has calibration features that let you adapt different powered equipment), and you can get good 200 wat per channel amps 10 years old or more which are great for a fraction of a new price. &nbsp;I'm running a 5.1 system with a designer reworked Counterpoint tube (front) $700, a Aragon 4004 200 watt per channel for subs (can be had for about the same, tho I bought it new for $2000) and a 200 watt per channel Carver 1.0t that can be had for $250. &nbsp;For center I use the Mitsubishi TV stuff, which I can control through the Outlaw.

All that's well within your budget, and I bet you'd like the sound of tubes with your Maggies.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>If you are looking for a used 2 channel amp, the best deal on e-bay is the 260W Yamaha MX-1000/MX-1 which can drive 1ohms load with ease so the Maggies work very well on them, quite a few of the AH members have bought these amps from e-bay and are quite satisfied with them.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis