Outlaw Model 5000 Five Channel Amplifier Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Outlaw’s new Model 5000 five-channel amplifier was, until recently, a top secret project they were working on to put them back on the map of a high value per dollar ratio currently shared only by a select few manufacturers. Rated at a modest 120 watts/ch, how could this amp possibly stand out in a sea of more powerful competitors? We put one on our test bench and gave it a listen to find out. Our results may not only surprise you but more importantly put several of Outlaw’s competitors on notice. At $599, can this be the amplifier deal of the year?

Read on to find out.

Read the Outlaw Model 5000 Review

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know if you remember Gene when Atlantic Technology wanted to get into the pre-pro and power amp game. When they rebadged the Outlaw 950 and one of their 7 channel power amps. I ended up with more then 10 sets for my friends from a local dealer at a steal. These amps at 120 watts X 7 just blew my mind. I think they sounded better then my Cinepro amps at 350 Watts @ 8 ohms. They had some fire to them. Should have kept at least one, but ended selling them all.

For now I can only find a picture of the processor (don't tell anyone that the Atlantic Technology (Outlaw) processors sounded better then my Krell what I am using now).

Last edited:
S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Two things. The capacitors being wired in series-parallel is something Emotiva still does on their XPA-2, and they claim 120,000 farads. For me the end result is what counts, what the amp sounds like, the numbers game is for the marketers. Also, grounding analysis. I've never heard of this, can we expect audioholics to make this a part of their amp reviews from now on?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Two things. The capacitors being wired in series-parallel is something Emotiva still does on their XPA-2, and they claim 120,000 farads. For me the end result is what counts, what the amp sounds like, the numbers game is for the marketers. Also, grounding analysis. I've never heard of this, can we expect audioholics to make this a part of their amp reviews from now on?
I always check how an amp does on the bench. If I find an issue with grounding it usually will show up on the bench.

R

Ricardo

Audiophyte
I was wondering if anyone can answer this question, would the outlaw 5000 be a good match with the marantz sr5010. Can the Marantz drive the outlaw to its best performance, this will be powering the svs ultra center and ultra bookshelves.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was wondering if anyone can answer this question, would the outlaw 5000 be a good match with the marantz sr5010. Can the Marantz drive the outlaw to its best performance, this will be powering the svs ultra center and ultra bookshelves.
I was wondering what the input sensitivity was too. The Outlaw page shows input sensitivity at 1.0 V so more than likely your avr can provide a bit more than that....but taking a look at the specs on the Marantz site, it doesn't say....

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
O

Opie Deegs

Audiophyte
Can I bi amp the 5000 and how would I do that? I have a onkyo 3007 I would like to use the 5000 for L/C/R

mdanderson

mdanderson

Audioholic Intern
I have Marantz SR5010 was wondering if you ever got the Outlaw 5000 and how it sounds paired with the SR5010. I had the original Outlaw 750 amp a many years ago but I was thinking about getting a separate power amp to go with my SR5010 even though the Marantz sounds very nice on it's own.

G

Glenv6

Enthusiast
Not much action on the here....

I'm sold. My 5000 will arrive in a few days. I was interested in the Monoprice 7x, but it's still not available and I don't want to wait. I'll deal with the other two channels using my trusty old Sumo Polaris on the mains for now.

The 5000 measured well in reviews, and reaped high praise for it's sound. I am looking forward to hearing how well it lives up to the great reviews.

J

jsc1979

Junior Audioholic
I just picked up an Outlaw 7100, but I’m now wondering if I should have went with this 5000.

Long shot, but does anyone have experience with both? Obviously the 7100 is over 10yrs old. I got it for $375, the B Stock 5000 wouldn’t be too much more.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Very tempting to buy the Outlaw 5000. Does outlaw ever put these on sale? Obviously the price is nice already. Labor Day is coming soon so just curious.

D

DigitalD

Audioholic Intern
Great video Gene! This video actually convinced me to purchase the Model 7000x since I’d prefer a 7ch amp. I am fairly new to this and I have a question. Can I use the Ground Section behind my Denon X-4400H to connect to the Ground Section behind my Amp? Will this improve/assist any potential ground loops? Thanks for your help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis