Outlaw Holiday Sale!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@shadyJ ,
What are your thoughts on these prices for Outlaw subwoofers (X12 Ultra for $499 and Ultra X13 for $999)?
I'm thinking some people are likely to miss out on a great deal because they don't think of Outlaw for subwoofers! I usually think of Hsu offering the best bang for the buck, but can Hsu compete while these are being sold at these kind of discounts?
Is the X12 a Hsu design, of did they switch it to Claridy (sp?) like the X13 is?
I haven't heard a subwoofer for $1000 that can compete with the X13, but I on't hear that many subs, and certainly not as many as you!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ ,
What are your thoughts on these prices for Outlaw subwoofers (X12 Ultra for $499 and Ultra X13 for $999)?
I'm thinking some people are likely to miss out on a great deal because they don't think of Outlaw for subwoofers! I usually think of Hsu offering the best bang for the buck, but can Hsu compete while these are being sold at these kind of discounts?
Is the X12 a Hsu design, of did they switch it to Claridy (sp?) like the X13 is?
I haven't heard a subwoofer for $1000 that can compete with the X13, but I on't hear that many subs, and certainly not as many as you!
The X12 is not a Claridy design nor is it a Hsu design. Those are killer prices though. The X12 will likely perform on the level of the VTF-2, except it looks nicer. It is the subwoofer bargain of the moment for sure.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Looks like sale has been extended through midnight tonight- 12/19 12/20.. Forget it, they just keep bumping it day by day until they run out of stock I guess!

Last edited:
Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Man, I can't plunk down a grand right now, but I am struggling to not drop the dough on an X12 at this price. Yet, when will you be able to get an X13 for a 1/3rd off!?!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Man, I can't plunk down a grand right now, but I am struggling to not drop the dough on an X12 at this price. Yet, when will you be able to get an X13 for a 1/3rd off!?!
Just gonna stop you there. the X-13 is a must. Do not settle for an X-12. The X-13s are beasts beyond belief.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
What would most compare the X13 to in the SVS line, the 4000?

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Every time I keep seeing Outlaw extend this sale and I drool over the big daddy sub, I keep going back to my tape measure with X13 dimensions in mind. That sub is HUGE. Not sure some people keep this in mind, but it physically exceeds many side tables you would ever consider placing next to a couch.

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Takes 2 people to un-box as well.
Nah... Just have to be creative in the way you open and tip! Open first box, fold flaps over, tip upside down, remove first box, then open second box, fold flaps, tip, etc. But it does take some space and stamina! :p

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
My X-12 arrives tomorrow. It fits and should do pretty well in my to tiny space... can’t wait to see how it does compared to my 30+ year old MK V2B

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My X-12 arrives tomorrow. It fits and should do pretty well in my to tiny space... can’t wait to see how it does compared to my 30+ year old MK V2B
First impressions?
I am not familiar with the MK V2B, but if this is your first ported sub and you set it up the way your MK sealed sub was, you may well experience obnoxiously overblown bass. Do not panic! The X12 is tunable using port plugs. And there is a port mode EQ switch on it. It is also likely to perform better for you if you get it a bit more into the room (out of corner or farther from wall) than your sealed subwoofer was to reduce room gain.
The "subwoofer crawl" is an easy way to determine better locations for sub. Google "subwoofer crawl Marshall Gunthrie audioholics" for a quick video on how to do it.
The way I see it, a typical sealed sub naturally rolls off starting around 35 to 40 Hz. This often works well because after room gain, it gives a reasonably flat frequency response. Ported subs usually tune the port to provide anechoically flat response down to around 20 hz. So your better positions for a sealed sub would "encourage" room gain and you would generally want to avoid room gain with a ported sub. That is why I am a fan of ported subs with tuning options like the X12!
It sounded like you may be stuck with the one location where this sub fits. If it is a corner location, you will likely want to plug both ports. Also, move around in your listening position, sometimes 6" to a foot.in the right direction can make a big difference in performance, and you can get away with repositioning your sofa/chair.

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
X-12 First impression... excellent upgrade. After listening and frankly looking at it for the last few days, it ticks all the boxes. Its marginally larger than what I had, but not one negative comment from the Mrs. - check. I'm running around 50% volume compared to 80%, so more power - check. I'm experimenting with higher xover, at 100hz right now, its pretty awesome at mid-bass, adding depth to my subs.

Running 1 port plugged, digs pretty deep, occasional boom, still havn't crawled - need a longer cable.

Binged the Mandalorian, which gave the X-12 a bit of a workout, but decided to go back to a few episodes of Expanse. The lightning scene got the big girl to leave the room (150lb. Great Dane named Madeline). Dark Tower was pretty fun too. Felt it in my chest a couple times (watched at ~90DB overall).

Music was pretty solid too, as I said the sub really improves my sats. Taicho drums, YES Fragile were awesome (felt the organ; which remined me of all those Yes concerts at MSG). Much improved over my old V2B. But when I tuned into some combo Jazz I really noticed an improvement in the tone of the Bass and lower piano octaves; plucking and key strikes were noticeable, adding a bit more realism.

I was really concerned that for the price it would be a disappointment, boy was I wrong! Glad I pulled the trigger and focused on my immediate needs. I'm sure after I find an optimal position and run Dirac, things will improve a bit more.

With the V2B on the bench, I hope to get the problem in the xover circuit resolved. Once I do, I plan to do some side-by-side measurements and gain a better appreciation for ported over sealed.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Nice review! I either need to order one before the awesome sale stops getting extended, or just resolve myself to looking elsewhere. And I keep waffling. My heart keeps telling me the X13 is WAY too big for most of my spaces it would go in- and for the prices you could double up and get TWO X-12's! That being said, I feel the age of the X12 design might be due for a revamp and prompting Outlaw to get rid of the rest of the stock (been about 5+years since X-12 release).

I'm happy to see it's checking your boxes and you're happy with the musicality of the sub as well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
X-12 First impression... excellent upgrade. After listening and frankly looking at it for the last few days, it ticks all the boxes. Its marginally larger than what I had, but not one negative comment from the Mrs. - check. I'm running around 50% volume compared to 80%, so more power - check. I'm experimenting with higher xover, at 100hz right now, its pretty awesome at mid-bass, adding depth to my subs.

Running 1 port plugged, digs pretty deep, occasional boom, still havn't crawled - need a longer cable.

Binged the Mandalorian, which gave the X-12 a bit of a workout, but decided to go back to a few episodes of Expanse. The lightning scene got the big girl to leave the room (150lb. Great Dane named Madeline). Dark Tower was pretty fun too. Felt it in my chest a couple times (watched at ~90DB overall).

Music was pretty solid too, as I said the sub really improves my sats. Taicho drums, YES Fragile were awesome (felt the organ; which remined me of all those Yes concerts at MSG). Much improved over my old V2B. But when I tuned into some combo Jazz I really noticed an improvement in the tone of the Bass and lower piano octaves; plucking and key strikes were noticeable, adding a bit more realism.

I was really concerned that for the price it would be a disappointment, boy was I wrong! Glad I pulled the trigger and focused on my immediate needs. I'm sure after I find an optimal position and run Dirac, things will improve a bit more.

With the V2B on the bench, I hope to get the problem in the xover circuit resolved. Once I do, I plan to do some side-by-side measurements and gain a better appreciation for ported over sealed.
That's awesome! Glad you're liking it. I tell folks all the time, a good quality Sub can elevate your whole system, and from the sound of it you just experienced that. For me it was almost like a whole speaker upgrade.

Congrats on the new sub!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nice review! I either need to order one before the awesome sale stops getting extended, or just resolve myself to looking elsewhere. And I keep waffling. My heart keeps telling me the X13 is WAY too big for most of my spaces it would go in- and for the prices you could double up and get TWO X-12's! That being said, I feel the age of the X12 design might be due for a revamp and prompting Outlaw to get rid of the rest of the stock (been about 5+years since X-12 release).

I'm happy to see it's checking your boxes and you're happy with the musicality of the sub as well.
Tough choice. I would tend to go with 2 of the X12's over 1 X13 if that is your choice just because the benefit of dual subs can be pretty substantial (especially if placement is pretty limited for the big X13)! Your point about the X12 being a 5-year old design is valid, but no aspect of subwoofer technology is dramatically improving (it is not like you are buying computer chips or a large screen TV).
To me the best argument for the X13 is it is an "ultimate" sub for most of us (representing a point where buying more sub is clearly getting into "diminishing returns"- it gets really expensive and I'm not sure how much normal residential usage would benefit much from a "bigger, badder sub").
The good thing is you are looking at Outlaw - because to my knowlege, they are the only company offering ID subs (at the performance level of SVS, Hsu, PSA, and Rythmik) at a substantial discount! Some of those others have sales, but not like the great deals you are looking at while this is happening!
Good luck with your decision!

Ed Mullen of SVS:

Last edited:
Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Makes sense Kurt, but the X-13 appears to be such a beast that one is torn between two 350w X12's or one 1000w X13. Looks like they've capped the sale January 2nd. Nice to see the well regarded bookshelves getting sold, limited quantities now it seems- the last of Snell team designed speakers?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Makes sense Kurt, but the X-13 appears to be such a beast that one is torn between two 350w X12's or one 1000w X13. Looks like they've capped the sale January 2nd. Nice to see the well regarded bookshelves getting sold, limited quantities now it seems- the last of Snell team designed speakers?
Well, if you look at it as one X13 with the option to add a second ... X13 FTW!!!!!

I would have liked to have heard those bookshelf speakers. I hope Outlaw did well (or at least did not take a loss) with them.

Outlaw is not perfect, but if I had to choose my electronics , speakers, and subwoofers all from just one company, Outlaw would be on the very short list! They are a small operation, but what they do seems well conceived, and the prices are very competitive!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis