Outlaw 997 CANCELED!

A

Affejunge

Audioholic
Wow, I cannot believe I am the first to report this, but long the awaited Outlaw 997 has been canceled. Below is the text from the e-mail I recieved.

As most Outlaws know, we have been working with Inkel to jointly develop a single hardware/software platform to be sold by Sherwood Newcastle as their R-972 audio/video receiver and, with substantial modifications, by Outlaw Audio as the Model 997 surround processor. Now that the R-972 is finally on the market, it is time to update you on the status of that project.

To get right to the point, due to the current state of the R-972 and the inability of Inkel to properly implement our required changes, it is with great regret that we must inform you that we have cancelled the Model 997.

We know that this will be extremely disappointing to those who have been waiting patiently for this product. That is equally true for us at Outlaw. With interest in this product from thousands of customers, it is obvious that this will result in lost sales. However, we feel strongly that under the circumstances we have made the right decision.
..but looks like they are working on something new
Most importantly, we are firmly committed to offering surround sound processors. Before the end of the year we will introduce a new product to take the place in our line-up that the Model 997 would have occupied. In reality, this new model, which we have been planning for some time, was originally intended to replace the Model 997 when that product came to the end of its life.

Given our experience with the Model 997 project, it is important to emphasize that our new flagship processor will NOT be derived from an existing platform. It will be an Outlaw exclusive design, built from the ground up to our own specifications and manufactured for us by a company responsible for many high-end brand home theater products. By taking total control of this new model we are assured that it will meet our highest standards for performance and product quality.
Honestly I am surprised, but what a great move by Outlaw. Who knows how much money they lost on this; but they made the decision rather than release something thats not right.

997 is dead...Long live 998.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Tough choice, but I agree that it seems like a good move on Outlaw's part. Choosing not to release something that is essentially "done" (as Sherwood has done with the R-972) can't have been easy, but it shows they recognize what their customers expect from them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis