H

heightshare

Audioholic Intern
Hey,

I recently moved to a place with a backyard, and i'm looking to set up a projector for warm weather night viewings.

having never owned a projector before, what specific features should I be on the lookout for in an outdoor projector?

are there particular models that handle ambient light well, and can connect to speakers? i've watched movies outside at other folks' backyards but have always found the picture sort of washed out looking.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, this has been a long-held dream of mine

if there is a dedicated thread for this that someone could direct me to, that would also work just as well

H

heightshare

Audioholic Intern
Hey,

I recently moved to a place with a backyard, and i'm looking to set up a projector for warm weather night viewings.

having never owned a projector before, what specific features should I be on the lookout for in an outdoor projector?

are there particular models that handle ambient light well, and can connect to speakers? I've watched movies outside at other folks' backyards but have always found the picture sort of washed-out looking.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, this has been a long-held dream of mine about
Pitbull

if there is a dedicated thread for this that someone could direct me to, that would also work just as well
thanks in advance for any help

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hey,

are there particular models that handle ambient light well, and can connect to speakers? i've watched movies outside at other folks' backyards but have always found the picture sort of washed out looking.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, this has been a long-held dream of mine

First, you should have posted this in the projectors forum, not the Blu-ray forum. You probably would have gotten an answer earlier.

Second: You can't fight physics.

Theaters are dark. ANY light on the screen will negatively impact the image and wash it out.

Third, you fight ambient light by ensuring the screen area is absolutely as dark as possible. So, put it on the opposite side of the yard as far from any ambient light as possible. If you have lighting outdoors, ensure that any lights which may fall on the screen are OFF when the projector is in use. You can have a lot of lights on in seating areas, but just keep that light away from the projected image.

Fourth: Get a decently bright projector from a tier 1 manufacturer. Tier 1 means Epson, BenQ, Optoma, and other more notable brands with USA support. Tier 2 brands are Anker, XGimi, AAXATech and others that make quality product, but have ZERO high end gear and very limited USA support. Tier 3 brands are the cheapo flashlight (S#!T) projectors from Amazon for $100. Do not buy garbage and expect quality, unless you are okay with exactly what you said you didn't like elsewhere. The flashlight projectors for under $200 work reasonably well at delivering a 'usable' 100" image in the dark. They look decent even. But, they often fail in a few hundred hours of use, can't be fixed, have no real warranty, etc. Tier 1 manufacturers have projectors with a real warranty and actually meet their brightness claims (or close).

FIFTH: Projectors SUCK for audio. Bluetooth is NOT a way to connect a projector to audio. Plan for a wired connection to a speaker of some sort. You literally have hundreds (or thousands) of speaker options, but a good easy one is to pick up a battery powered portable speaker and plug it into the projector to get reasonably good sound. These are the speakers that are similar to this:

So, they have decent size, can run on battery or plugged in, and they have an AUX IN connection on them to wire it directly to the projector.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
I'm a big fan of Epson for these types of setups. Their cheaper models aren't the best for home theater (inside), but are great entry level models with a lot of brightness for a solid 120"-150" image outside. They deliver their actual brightness claims, or close, which is a long ways off from what others deliver. Plus, they have a refurb store and a eBay store which can get you some great values for the money.

Specifically (as of right now)...
REALLY bright (4200 lumens), 1080p, some zoom, limited placement flexibility: https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/Home-Cinema-1450-1080p-3LCD-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11H836020-N

CHEAP! - 1080p, very limited placement: https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/Home-Cinema-880-3LCD-1080p-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11H979020-N

Good crossover - 1080p, good for in-home use if you want to try out actual home theater - not as bright, better placement flexibility: https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/Home-Cinema-2250-3LCD-Full-HD-1080p-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11HA11020-N

Great crossover - 4K (ish) - great placement flexibility: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203301853424?epid=21050775066&hash=item2f55bc18f0:g:6z8AAOSwsnZgSUpG

Epson has 'new' models as well like the 3800 which is a bright model great for both outdoor use and indoor use.

Just a reminder - you MUST bring projectors indoors when not in use. They aren't designed to be left outside all the time.

H

heightshare

Audioholic Intern
First, you should have posted this in the projectors forum, not the Blu-ray forum. You probably would have gotten an answer earlier.

Second: You can't fight physics.

Theaters are dark. ANY light on the screen will negatively impact the image and wash it out.

Third, you fight ambient light by ensuring the screen area is absolutely as dark as possible. So, put it on the opposite side of the yard as far from any ambient light as possible. If you have lighting outdoors, ensure that any lights which may fall on the screen are OFF when the projector is in use. You can have a lot of lights on in seating areas, but just keep that light away from the projected image.

Fourth: Get a decently bright projector from a tier 1 manufacturer. Tier 1 means Epson, BenQ, Optoma, and other more notable brands with USA support. Tier 2 brands are Anker, XGimi, AAXATech and others that make quality product, but have ZERO high end gear and very limited USA support. Tier 3 brands are the cheapo flashlight (S#!T) projectors from Amazon for $100. Do not buy garbage and expect quality, unless you are okay with exactly what you said you didn't like elsewhere. The flashlight projectors for under $200 work reasonably well at delivering a 'usable' 100" image in the dark. They look decent even. But, they often fail in a few hundred hours of use, can't be fixed, have no real warranty, etc. Tier 1 manufacturers have projectors with a real warranty and actually meet their brightness claims (or close).

FIFTH: Projectors SUCK for audio. Bluetooth is NOT a way to connect a projector to audio. Plan for a wired connection to a speaker of some sort. You literally have hundreds (or thousands) of speaker options, but a good easy one is to pick up a battery powered portable speaker and plug it into the projector to get reasonably good sound. These are the speakers that are similar to this:

So, they have decent size, can run on battery or plugged in, and they have an AUX IN connection on them to wire it directly to the projector.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
I'm a big fan of Epson for these types of setups. Their cheaper models aren't the best for home theater (inside), but are great entry level models with a lot of brightness for a solid 120"-150" image outside. They deliver their actual brightness claims, or close, which is a long ways off from what others deliver. Plus, they have a refurb store and a eBay store which can get you some great values for the money.

Specifically (as of right now)...
REALLY bright (4200 lumens), 1080p, some zoom, limited placement flexibility: https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/Home-Cinema-1450-1080p-3LCD-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11H836020-N

CHEAP! - 1080p, very limited placement: https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/Home-Cinema-880-3LCD-1080p-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11H979020-N

Good crossover - 1080p, good for in-home use if you want to try out actual home theater - not as bright, better placement flexibility: https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Home-Entertainment/Home-Cinema-2250-3LCD-Full-HD-1080p-Projector---Refurbished/p/V11HA11020-N

Great crossover - 4K (ish) - great placement flexibility: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203301853424?epid=21050775066&hash=item2f55bc18f0:g:6z8AAOSwsnZgSUpG

Epson has 'new' models as well like the 3800 which is a bright model great for both outdoor use and indoor use.
https://myfurnituregoals.com
Just a reminder - you MUST bring projectors indoors when not in use. They aren't designed to be left outside all the time.
thank you so much for your suggestion

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
For the amount of use you would be better of hiring a projector,
You mean renting? I don't say this often, but this is just an extremely poor suggestion if it is to 'rent' instead of buy. Buying makes WAY more sense. The only time rentals make sense is if the plan is to use it once, and only once.

Projector rentals are typically about $100 at a minimum for a day or so of use. This means five uses over the Summer is $500, and that's enough to get an entry level Epson. If usage is more than that, it quickly gets to be very expensive. A brand new 1080p projector, with solid brightness, is well under $1,000. Used, or refurbs are potentially under $500. Someone could buy it, use it all Summer, then sell it, and it may cost just a couple hundred dollars. They could use it for a few years and resell it and maybe it costs a few hundred dollars total.

If you mean something other than renting, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis