Original Star Wars movies on DVD

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Well, it looks like Lucas finally caved. According to this article anyway:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14373

Apparently he is giving the fans what they want - or trying to make more money - or both. Anyway, if you are one of those purists, I guess this is good news for you. Enjoy the original films as you first saw them!!

The apparent bummer is that you are paying for a 2 disc set that includes the original version with the redone version - I would assume that many already have the new versions, so why not offer the original version by itself? Plus, according to thedigitalbits.com, the originals are only DD 2.0. Time to kick in the PLII decoding I guess.

Last edited:
J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
Well, I was going to say "take this with a huge grain of salt", but then I saw it on the Digital Bits just now.. along with a link to the official SW site where the news was also posted.

Dammit. How many times am I going to have buy these things!!

I think the Bits had another thing right about it, though.. this will probably be the last time the original versions are ever released. I doubt LFL will release HD versions of the original theatrical films, they'll stick with the new ones. Although without the digital remastering, it's possible that the DVD will be as good as those original cuts will ever look, so we might not be missing much.

It should be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison.. I'm getting the impression that these versions will be unaltered in every way.. no pristine, cleaned-up HD master here.. these are going to look like crap.. hehe.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Although I'm sick to death of LUcas' constant tinkering and screwing with the originals, that whole making Anakin a ghost at the end bothered me, I'd have to be a complete idiot to shell out any more money for this stuff.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll probably end up buying them, at least the first one. I'll probably realize that it was a waste of money, but I'd like to see the original in its original form. It really irritates me how some of the little things were changed, like they redubbed the evil emperors face and voice with the guy who plays it in the newer movies and then gave no mention of the original actor in the credits, basically they deleted him from the movie. :mad: That and all the other little things that bother everyone else.

That being said, after I watch them, I'll probably realize that the movies are most likely better, overall, now than when they were originally released. :eek: And I'll probably rarely, if ever, watch the originals again. Friggin' Lucas sucking all my money away....;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Lucas can kiss my $#%&^ I don't plan on buying any further SW DVDs.

O

outsider

Audioholic
Well, I have to say, it's about time Lucas releases the REAL versions of these movies. So what if they are lacking 5.1 surround? At least they haven't been messed with!

Unfortunately I'm already so &#@*^! off at him that I'd rather buy some poorly made bootlegs from a backalley vendor than give him any more money.

Maybe I'll change my mind come September, but I doubt it.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
I don't really understand why you guys are hating on Lucas. I mean it's his work and if he wants to alter it in a way the HE thinks is an improvement then I don't see what there is to get worked up over. I mean, I know I have done things whereby once they get submitted to the public I'd wished I'd done something here or there a little different. Luckily for him he has the ability and the sack to do it, despite the fact that there are huge numbers of geeks/people out there all across the globe eager to complain about HIM changing HIS work. Then when he tries to appease everyone he gets jumped all over again. Jeesh. If I were him I'd be saying the same things about you all that you are saying about him. Puzzling.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
hopjohn said:
Ditto. Perhaps it's post-partum from the new sequel. Of the six movies, I think they all hold their own. Lucas is a genius, and I can't wait for the final sequel. I have no problem with Star Wars (the original) revisited either. But then again I don't yet own the original. :rolleyes:

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Clint DeBoer said:
What final sequel?
I understood that Star Wars is (was? what is the proper syntax?) actually written in "reverse". And the final trilogy will be written by Lucas sometime in the proximate future. Or is it just the Greater Manhattan influencing me at 9:45 p.m.?

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Johnd said:
I understood that Star Wars is (was? what is the proper syntax?) actually written in "reverse". And the final trilogy will be written by Lucas sometime in the proximate future. Or is it just the Greater Manhattan influencing me at 9:45 p.m.?
I think that was his original plan way back when, but he has long since said that the movies are over. That's why they are working on the TV shows that continue the saga.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Oh. Never mind. But one can always dream. Thanks for the update alan. I'm a dinosaur through and through.

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Why not just wait and buy the HD-DVD or Bluray version of the movies.

I know that Lucas is a wimp when it comes to listening to critics too much, but I remember when I first saw the originals and they were great. However, since I will be wanting the Star Wars movies in HD I will forego the purchase of the new set.

Also, it is still a possibility that Lucas will finish off the Star Wars saga like he originally planned. He mentioned a while back that the final three movies would be set 30 years after the end of Return of the Jedi, so it is a possibility that they would use the actors from the originals. However, this is a very long shot. I would like Lucas to go ahead and finish writing the series though. I would also give him the advice to lock himself up in a room with no communication to the outside world until he is done writing all three of them. That way he wouldn't be pressured to keep changing the aspects of the movies to please the stupid critics.

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
runninkyle17 said:
Why not just wait and buy the HD-DVD or Bluray version of the movies.

I know that Lucas is a wimp when it comes to listening to critics too much, but I remember when I first saw the originals and they were great. However, since I will be wanting the Star Wars movies in HD I will forego the purchase of the new set.
Because at this point it's highly likely that there won't be a high-definition version of the original theatrical versions of the films. Only the new Special Editions. This upcoming DVD will probably be the last chance to buy the original versions of the films, ever.

B

BOSS10L

Enthusiast
Nostalgia is a powerful force (forgive the pun). Of course I will be purchasing them when they are re-released in September. The original Star Wars Trilogy was groundbreaking, and while I respect GL's right to have re-made them as he had originally wanted, something must be said for the originals. They'll be grainy, irreverent and original.

If for nothing else, I'll have something to show my boys in another 5-10 years when they can really appreciate them. Kinda akin to my mom playing The Beatles' music for me when I was younger.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I heard there was one more movie being written, not another trilogy. He apparently won't have time in the near future with him supposedly scripting another Indiana Jones... Tired of the "new" SW trilogy anyway, I was quite disappointed with the last film.

I'm not hating on him, I just don't appreciate the way he has chosen to do certain things. I didn't really have an issue with him doing the digital remasters, though I don't think most of the updates really added much to the movies.... but why the need to stall the release of the remastered DVDs and why his initial refusal to release the original unedited versions?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Eh, too little too late. I would have bought them a year ago, but now I have no intrest in buying a DVD that isn't 1080P./TrueHD.

Trst me.... the original trilogy will be back....

O

outsider

Audioholic
I think it would be pointless to remaster the original versions into HD since standard DVD is already far better than VHS tapes. Besides, we all know that if Lucas were to go and remaster the originals into HD we'd get the same results that we've already gotten with the so-called definitive versions.

Honestly, this isn't about picture or sound quality, this is about having the original movies we grew up watching, so if you don't feel you can enjoy the original version because it won't look so great on your ridiculously expensive TV, then please shut your trap and take those fingers off the keyboard.

M

Manic Miner

Junior Audioholic
I don't think that this is the last we will see of the original trilogy. The reason for releasing the original trilogy now could be an attempt at milking every last dollar out of the DVD format before it becomes obsolete.

If that is true we will see similar actions take place during the lifespan of HD-DVD/BD. I'll hold my judgement until then.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I suppose I'll break down and buy them since I don't have the first three on DVD at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis