Optoma 758 DLP Projector

K

kenchi

Audiophyte
I am new to front projection televisions, but am starting to gather information on setting up a home theater.
I ran across the Optoma 758 DLP Projector (at Costco.com)

some of the specs:
3000 ansi-lumens/2000:1 contrast ratio
Up to 1600x1200 (Native 1024x768) resolution
7200 rpms wheel speed
4-segment color wheel
Double Data Rate DLP Technology
XGA, SXGA, VESA, UXGA, SXGA compression
HDTV (480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720i, 720p, 1080i)

Has anyone seen this projector and have any comments/reviews on it?
For anyone who wants the link it is:
http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&cat=20114&hierPath=79*&Browse=

Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would not buy a projector of that cost without seriously considering what I want to use it for.

The projector was clearly designed as a business grade projector with that level of brightness and the resolution and 4:3 aspect ratio. So, there may be some deficiencies in the quality of on board video processing that the projector can do.

Motion artifacts, poor deinterlacing, lots of pixelation, lousy handling of 16:9 material, poor color rendition of video, HD quality scaled down for non-HD performance, and other things are all possible drawbacks for projectors designed to go in a board room and primarily display Power Point presentations with half the lights in the room turned on.

It is not an inexpensive projector either so I think I would first check out www.projectorcentral.com and think about how you will be using the projector and what type of room it is going into and then if you are still interested, check the return policy where you buy it to make darn sure you can return it if you are not thrilled with it.

Most people don't test drive cars without reading lots of reviews and taking a test drive, a projector that costs half or a third the price of some cars should not be bought with no return policy if it turns out to be a lemon either.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis