Optical to RCA, does quality matter

J

john_dikeman

Enthusiast
Hello all,

Sorry this has probably been discussed before but I'll give all my specifics and ask yall.
Just bought an LG C2 and I want to run it through my sound system.
It's for a music studio but I'll also watch films there. I am running Focal Shape speakers with an SVS cylinder subwoofer and usually using a Motu M4 as an audio interface.
I want to connect the LG C2 to my system so I guess I need a converter from the digital optical audio to RCA to run it through my Motu. I also have a soundcraft UI24r which I may connect at some point but that doesn't have an optical input either.
So, should I just get something like a Fiio D03K Taishan or would something like a Topping DX3 Pro be much better? The main thing I need is the quality DAC going from optical to RCA so maybe the the DX 3 Pro is overkill. I see some used ones nearby for around 100.
There is a chance at some point I would stick the Topping downstairs to use as a bluetooth dongle as my FIIO BTR3 cuts out sometimes.

Or can you recommend something else?

Thanks
john

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

Sorry this has probably been discussed before but I'll give all my specifics and ask yall.
It's for a music studio but I'll also watch films there. I am running Focal Shape speakers with an SVS cylinder subwoofer and usually using a Motu M4 as an audio interface.
I want to connect the LG C2 to my system so I guess I need a converter from the digital optical audio to RCA to run it through my Motu. I also have a soundcraft UI24r which I may connect at some point but that doesn't have an optical input either.
So, should I just get something like a Fiio D03K Taishan or would something like a Topping DX3 Pro be much better? The main thing I need is the quality DAC going from optical to RCA so maybe the the DX 3 Pro is overkill. I see some used ones nearby for around 100.
There is a chance at some point I would stick the Topping downstairs to use as a bluetooth dongle as my FIIO BTR3 cuts out sometimes.

Or can you recommend something else?

Thanks
john
I don't think we have been purposely avoiding you. However I suspect few of us use these, as most of us are using front ends, that have a plethora of inputs. So I don't use one of these personally, but have wondered what the quality is.

Anecdotal reviews are useless, and objective reviews sparse.

I have suspected those cheap ones on Amazon are probably poor, but I can't tell you if most of the costly ones are better.

However, Audio Science review has objectively measured one of the cheaper ones at $14.00, and it was awful.

They have also measured a Schiit Modi at $129.00 and it was quite good to reasonable.

This is an era I suspect that also attracts a lot of snake oil Audiophhoolery. So whether spending hundreds of dollars on one improves audio quality I can't tell you, but I doubt it.

My horse sense tells that as a DAC is a complex device, those cheaper units well under $100.00 are not likely to be much good. That Schiit Modi at $129.00 seems a respectable performer and reasonable value for money. Whether spending more will give you better performance I can't tell you, but spending more is no guarantee that it will, and it could be worse. Unfortunately for you, this is an arena where objective data is sparse. I know for certain that some "golden ear" writing in flowery language on some device costing hundreds or in some cases a thousand plus is no guarantee of good performance.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I can't find better data for you, but you are welcome to keep looking.

That MOTU unit is essentially a mic preamp/converter to USBc. You would actually be well advised to get a unit with a multiple inputs. You really need a device with HDMI eARC for what you want to do. Sending audio from your TV via optical is a lossy connection and really you need a loss less connection and these days that means HDMI.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Agree, that TV needs an eARC connection. Things are already underway with those monitors. I’ve been coming back to this thread throughout the day and would suggest a serious processor like the Marantz 7706. Just keep adding more monitors to it.;)
IMG_4039.jpeg

J

john_dikeman

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info!
I must say, the movie watching part of this is just for fun not professional, so I want to it sound good, but I don't need top top quality.

I wonder, does anyone make an eARC external laptop receiver? Then it could go into the laptop lossless and come back out the laptop into my audio interface to only be converted there?
I know the Motu uses decent Sabre DACs, which are honestly good enough for me until I start earning 5X what I do now. (professional musician means... poor!)

That Marantz looks great but costs more than my saxophone... I'll keep watching the thrift stores. I actually saw a Marantz for 60 bucks in the store around the corner but I don't think it's anything too special and it has no digital inputs. SR 5023. Right now my main hifi setup downstairs is an Arcam A18. Would the Marantz be better or a parallel move?

EDIT I do see a used Marantz NR1501 available for 150 nearby. This has HDMI and optical inputs. Would this be a better solution? I guess I'd then have to run RCA from the VCR out for the monitors and sub from the sub out? Then I could route my motu M4 into the Marantz? Though that's just adding another link in the chain, maybe a bad idea?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for all the info!
I must say, the movie watching part of this is just for fun not professional, so I want to it sound good, but I don't need top top quality.

I wonder, does anyone make an eARC external laptop receiver? Then it could go into the laptop lossless and come back out the laptop into my audio interface to only be converted there?
I know the Motu uses decent Sabre DACs, which are honestly good enough for me until I start earning 5X what I do now. (professional musician means... poor!)

That Marantz looks great but costs more than my saxophone... I'll keep watching the thrift stores. I actually saw a Marantz for 60 bucks in the store around the corner but I don't think it's anything too special and it has no digital inputs. SR 5023. Right now my main hifi setup downstairs is an Arcam A18. Would the Marantz be better or a parallel move?

EDIT I do see a used Marantz NR1501 available for 150 nearby. This has HDMI and optical inputs. Would this be a better solution? I guess I'd then have to run RCA from the VCR out for the monitors and sub from the sub out? Then I could route my motu M4 into the Marantz? Though that's just adding another link in the chain, maybe a bad idea?
At that money I suspect it is an older unit. It is not just HDMI you need, but an eARC port has to be at least one of the HDMI ports, if you want to return audio back to the receiver. However if you want to connect everything to the receiver, then you can send audio from the receiver, but not the other way. The problem is that you probably want to use the apps in your smart TV, in which case you need eARC. There is one more alternative, and that is to connect a ROKU, or firestick to the receiver and use the apps in that, instead of the ones in the TV.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Shame LG dropped the 3.5mm headphone port on the C2. I think it may be included on only the 42" version but not the others. My C1 has it and it works fine when using a 3.5mm to RCA cable for a two channel analog connection. I have an eARC, optical and analog connection from my TV to my receiver in case any one of them fail. For a quick and cheap solution for use with current gear, I'd just get an optical to RCA converter for the C2's optical output.

D

diwit

Audioholic Intern
Hello all,

Or can you recommend something else metallic epoxy flooring dallas?

Thanks
john
Both the Fiio D03K Taishan and the Topping DX3 Pro are capable digital-to-analog converters (DACs) that can convert the digital optical audio signal from your LG C2 to RCA analog audio output. They should both serve your purpose of connecting the LG C2 to your sound system.
The Fiio D03K Taishan is a more budget-friendly option and should provide a basic conversion from digital to analog. It should be sufficient if you primarily need the DAC functionality and want to maintain good audio quality without any advanced features.
On the other hand, the Topping DX3 Pro is a higher-end DAC that offers more advanced features such as Bluetooth connectivity and a headphone amplifier. If you foresee a potential need for these additional features or want to have a more versatile audio solution, the Topping DX3 Pro could be a good choice. It offers better audio quality and more connectivity options, but it might be overkill if you don't require the extra features.
Ultimately, the choice between the Fiio D03K Taishan and the Topping DX3 Pro depends on your specific requirements and budget. If you primarily need a quality DAC for the optical to RCA conversion, the Fiio D03K Taishan should suffice. However, if you want more features and better audio quality, the Topping DX3 Pro would be a worthwhile investment, especially if you can find a used one at a reasonable price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis