E

evandy0

Audiophyte
Does anyone know if an ancient Sony CD-Jukebox (CDP-CX55) might be putting out something other than PCM from its toslink port? I am trying to diagnose why my new Onkyo receiver won't detect/decode the optical signal, and this is the only thing that I can think of, as:

Optical cable plugged into old Yamaha HTR-5750 works fine.
Another device plugged into the optical port on the Onkyo works fine.

I'm thinking that I might have to live with stereo cables unless I want to replace my CD player. :(

--Evan

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Evan. I'd be suprised if there was a change in the protocol that was causing this. A couple of questions:

1. Are you using the same optical cable every time?
2. What is the model number of your Onkyo? I'm wondering if you have to change a setting for the PCM to get it to recognize it correctly.

EDIT: Never mind on the model number - I just saw your other thread about it being a 709.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
What's the digital output of the device which does work with the Onkyo's Toslink input. Remember, some receiving devices must be in sync at the lowest common denominator with the sending unit, so see if the Onkyo's Toslink input is adjustable at the unit's menu from DSD to PCM and/or bit/sampling rate.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What's the digital output of the device which does work with the Onkyo's Toslink input. Remember, some receiving devices must be in sync at the lowest common denominator with the sending unit, so see if the Onkyo's Toslink input is adjustable at the unit's menu from DSD to PCM and/or bit/sampling rate.
DSD cannot be output via optical and this player does not appear to be a SACD player as far as I can tell, nor does it appear to have video output. This would almost certainly mean PCM is the only option coming out of the optical port, so something is likely wrong with the output.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Does anyone know if an ancient Sony CD-Jukebox (CDP-CX55) might be putting out something other than PCM from its toslink port? I am trying to diagnose why my new Onkyo receiver won't detect/decode the optical signal, and this is the only thing that I can think of, as:

Optical cable plugged into old Yamaha HTR-5750 works fine.
Another device plugged into the optical port on the Onkyo works fine.

I'm thinking that I might have to live with stereo cables unless I want to replace my CD player. :(

--Evan
Are you using the same optical port on the Onkyo for the Sony and the other device?

I would check the Onkyo's menu to make sure the digital input is set to Auto.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
DSD cannot be output via optical and this player does not appear to be a SACD player as far as I can tell, nor does it appear to have video output. This would almost certainly mean PCM is the only option coming out of the optical port, so something is likely wrong with the output.
Hmm.. My Panasonic BD-80 sends bitstream or PCM via Toslink or coaxial S/PDIF. Perhaps, I used DSD when I should have said bitstream, instead.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis