Optical out to computer?

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
I'm trying to utilize the optical input on my sound card to playback sources from the entertainment system. I know I could use zone 2 or 3, but the analog input on the sound card is already in use, so that leaves just the optical input. I'm having trouble using the optical outs on either the receiver or bluray player to output to the optical input on the computer. Any suggestions?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
What kind of sound card? Most sound cards with an optical interface are not for capture. They're output, not input. And I'm skeptical that the optical interface on the AVR is an output. The Blu-ray optical interface is probably an output though.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
On the SR805, only Optical or Coax In can be routed to Optical Out. That is probably why the receiver is not able to send signal.

The Oppo Optical Out should be no issue. Most likely, you need to select the correct output setting and vice versa, the correct input setting on the sound card. (Also, make sure you're using the Claro Halo Optical In and not the Optical Out by mistake. Happens to be best of us, your's truly included.)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I take it my mobile interface has made me miss something important, maybe relevant equipment in the signature? Oh well.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
Thanks. I'm a little stumped because I tried it both ways (before I started this thread). I read the manuals when I discovered the Onkyo only outputs coaxial/optical to optical, but I thought the Oppo send a signal to all outputs without assignment? I don't know... I guess I'll figure it out. I'm still not getting sound on the computer.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
I had to reinstall the sound card driver to get it working. It's pretty cool to have the little 8" sub backing up the 12" Hsu, even if it's only a Logitech. :)

The Z-2300 sub really puts out some bass for being a computer speaker. I've had it for 8 years and always liked its bass output.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis