OPPO UDP 205 HDMI IN issues

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
Hey all,

I'm trying to connect my Direct TV box to my OPPO's HDMI IN so I can utilize the players internal audio and video capabilities along with watching 4K content. Currently I have my OPPO connected to the HDMI main output to my Yamaha then to my LG OLED. MY Direct TV cable box is connected to my Yamaha and I'm able to watch 4K content however, when I try to connect the cable box to the OPPO's HDMI IN, it will not display 4K content. I also have the OPPO connected to a Parasound A51 using the analog outputs( 5.2 )setup so I can use the OPPO's remote for volume. In order for me to this, I have to turn down the volume on the Yamaha as I'm using XLR plugs to my Parasound as well. The audio is fantastic and I do get video but when I change to a 4K channel it will not display 4K content, only 1080p. I bought an Audioquest 4K 18G HDMI cable to see is the problem persists and the problem continues. I also went into the OPPO and changed the HDMI IN Specs from UHD HDR to UHD 24hz and UHD and nothing seems to work. the last thing I tried was double checking the video settings on the cable box to make sure 4K is passing through. Any ideas?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hey all,

I'm trying to connect my Direct TV box to my OPPO's HDMI IN so I can utilize the players internal audio and video capabilities along with watching 4K content. Currently I have my OPPO connected to the HDMI main output to my Yamaha then to my LG OLED. MY Direct TV cable box is connected to my Yamaha and I'm able to watch 4K content however, when I try to connect the cable box to the OPPO's HDMI IN, it will not display 4K content. I also have the OPPO connected to a Parasound A51 using the analog outputs( 5.2 )setup so I can use the OPPO's remote for volume. In order for me to this, I have to turn down the volume on the Yamaha as I'm using XLR plugs to my Parasound as well. The audio is fantastic and I do get video but when I change to a 4K channel it will not display 4K content, only 1080p. I bought an Audioquest 4K 18G HDMI cable to see is the problem persists and the problem continues. I also went into the OPPO and changed the HDMI IN Specs from UHD HDR to UHD 24hz and UHD and nothing seems to work. the last thing I tried was double checking the video settings on the cable box to make sure 4K is passing through. Any ideas?
Why would you want to plug your cable box to your OPPO? IMO, it's not designed to accept a cable signal. The cable signal should be connected to the receiver and then output from the AVR to the TV set.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you want to plug your cable box to your OPPO? IMO, it's not designed to accept a cable signal. The cable signal should be connected to the receiver and then output from the AVR to the TV set.
What's different about hdmi from a set top box over other hdmi sources, tho? If the source is 4k seemingly it should work....and says so in the Oppo manual particularly. While I doubt there's a lot the Oppo can do to improve on the D* source material, why doesn't it function?

ps @Gilbert Lopez buying Audioquest isn't a solution except to lighten your wallet.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What's different about hdmi from a set top box over other hdmi sources, tho? If the source is 4k seemingly it should work....and says so in the Oppo manual particularly. While I doubt there's a lot the Oppo can do to improve on the D* source material, why doesn't it function?

ps @Gilbert Lopez buying Audioquest isn't a solution except to lighten your wallet.
It's still not clear in my mind. I don't see any advantage in inputting the cable signal onto the OPPO if the AVR can passthrough the 4K signal. IMO, the shortest path is always best in either audio or video.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's still not clear in my mind. I don't see any advantage in inputting the cable signal onto the OPPO if the AVR can passthrough the 4K signal. IMO, the shortest path is always best in either audio or video.
May as well ask why he has that convoluted setup to begin with then :) I'm more curious why it doesn't work, not whether it will be any different.

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic

Good thing I have till the end of the year to return :)

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
The DAC in the OPPO'S 205 is fantastic, especially when you connect it directly to an amp. Any source that I listen to really pops, at least in my house. I've already tried the coaxial connection ( no video ) and the audio comes in great. I guess when you have all the time in the world and you love audio and video, you play with your toys! Just trying to watch Direct TV's sports channels along with utilizing OPPO's DAC. I know its just a cable signal and you probably shouldn't hear an audio difference but I do. I know I can always go back to cable box to processor and get 4K but iv'e never tried to use the HDMI IN on the OPPO and when I did, it didn't pass through 4K. Just playing with my toys and looking for a little help ;)

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
Definitely return it and get something more reasonably priced. Monoprice is a good source, as well as several others....
Good thing it only cost me $16.99 ( I have a bud that works at best buy and got his employee discount ) the funny thing is, I tried many HDMI cables that I had laying around and decided to buy a higher quality and expensive cable knowing I could get it with my friends discount. Obviously none of them worked. Iv'e been going back in forth with OPPO and have tried many things. I think they have come to the conclusion that the cable box is not compatible with the HDMI IN on the OPPO. Oh well, it was fun trying!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good thing it only cost me $16.99 ( I have a bud that works at best buy and got his employee discount ) the funny thing is, I tried many HDMI cables that I had laying around and decided to buy a higher quality and expensive cable knowing I could get it with my friends discount. Obviously none of them worked. Iv'e been going back in forth with OPPO and have tried many things. I think they have come to the conclusion that the cable box is not compatible with the HDMI IN on the OPPO. Oh well, it was fun trying!
At least you got closer to a decent price for the Audioquest....D* has some fame when it comes to their gear not always being friendly with other hdmi devices now that I think about it. Just got rid of D* myself. If that's the best Oppo can come up with probably not much you're going to be able to do about it. I seriously doubt it would make a difference either.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The DAC in the OPPO'S 205 is fantastic, especially when you connect it directly to an amp. Any source that I listen to really pops, at least in my house. I've already tried the coaxial connection ( no video ) and the audio comes in great. I guess when you have all the time in the world and you love audio and video, you play with your toys! Just trying to watch Direct TV's sports channels along with utilizing OPPO's DAC. I know its just a cable signal and you probably shouldn't hear an audio difference but I do. I know I can always go back to cable box to processor and get 4K but iv'e never tried to use the HDMI IN on the OPPO and when I did, it didn't pass through 4K. Just playing with my toys and looking for a little help ;)
You wouldn't hear any audio difference between that provided by the DAC in the OPPO and the one in your AVR. Why bother? I think you should maybe read some of the numerous post on this site about various DAC performances. Any noticeable difference would in most situations happen with better speakers which are the weakest link in any audio chain.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sidebar: I have the HDMI output from PC connected to OPPO 205 HDMI input and playing multi-channel FLAC music from Foobar 2000 I get ocassional dropouts. I don't know if the source of dropouts is Foobar, FLAC, Windows 10, OPPO 205, OPPO driver, synchronization of components/path, setting, or other. Seems the only sure fire way to get multi-channel download playback gaplessly and glitch free is via usb drive connection to OPPO. the other sure fire thing is I do not have the patience to troubleshoot so it looks like I will reserve the HDMI input to movies I rent from iTunes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis