OPPO UDP 205 connection question

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
Hi all, I'm interested in utilizing the analog outputs on my OPPO 205 and connect it straight into my Parasound A51. My current set up is 5.2 using a Yamaha CX A51 sound processor with 2 SVS SB ultra 16 subs. My question is.... is there a way to connect the subs if my amp only has 5 channels? Do I run an RCA cable with a splitter from the Yamaha's sub input to the OPPO's sub output? Our can this not be done? I'm currently using XLR cables to connect the subs to the Yamaha. I'm aware of the speaker configurations in the audio processing setup section and how to set it up, just confused on how to connect to subs???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 205 is pretty much already a processor, you could just use it and a power amp, feeding the subs with a splitter from the 205.

I don't come up with a CX A51, is that an A5100? Does it have multi-ch analog inputs?

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
I’m sorry, yes it’s a Yamaha CX A5100 and yes it has multi channel analog inputs however, my subs and speakers are currently connected to the XLR pre outs on the Yamaha. I see your suggesting to use a splitter from the sub out on the 205 but from there do you go straight to each sub? Do you bypass the Yamaha? Also, since I’m using XLR plugs currently to the Yamaha can I use RCA cables simultaneously for the subs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just meant you could use the 205 alone as a pre-pro....you could just connect all pre-outs from the 205 to the 5100's multich inputs and leave the rest of your connections as-is.

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all your help and input. I’ll give it a try! I guess what I was trying to do initially was completely bypass the Yamaha and go from the 205 to my 5 channel amp to utilize the 205’s DAC and bypass the yamaha’s processing. Someone once told me that the sound is amazing when you connect it that way, just couldn’t figure out how to connect the subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for all your help and input. I’ll give it a try! I guess what I was trying to do initially was completely bypass the Yamaha and go from the 205 to my 5 channel amp to utilize the 205’s DAC and bypass the yamaha’s processing. Someone once told me that the sound is amazing when you connect it that way, just couldn’t figure out how to connect the subs.
Generally using the multi-ch inputs bypasses further processing, and lets you just pass signal thru to the amp, altho not positive Yamahas do that like others but think so. The difference in processing capabilities may not be audible, tho but having one less unit in the chain wouldn't hurt either. Does the 5100 have separately adjustable level/delay for two subs? That could be a consideration, don't think the 205 has that ability.....

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
Yes sir, the Yamaha has separate adjustable level/delay for each sub and the 205 has only one. So I see my Yamaha has 6 total multi channel inputs including the sub, are saying to connect 6 RCA’s from the 205 to the Yamahaand leave the XLR’s from each sub alone and connected to the Yamaha?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes sir, the Yamaha has separate adjustable level/delay for each sub and the 205 has only one. So I see my Yamaha has 6 total multi channel inputs including the sub, are saying to connect 6 RCA’s from the 205 to the Yamahaand leave the XLR’s from each sub alone and connected to the Yamaha?
That would be one way. Do you need the 5100 particularly? Do you use YPAO and/or the dual sub feature?

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
I have all my components connected to my Yamaha so yes I kinda need it. My SVS subs are about 2 months old so I had to rerun YPAO then I used an SPL meter for all speakers and subs, so yes I use the dual feature. After YPAO I adjusted the subs about 3 dB hotter The real reason I’m interested in trying to make this connection is my collection of concert DVD’s and Blu-ray music along with SACD not necessarily movies just music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The inputs on the 205 are somewhat limited. I'm not sure you can use YPAO for the multi-ch ins on the 5100, tho, might want to check the manual.

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
Thanks again for all your help. I’ll tinker around with it and see what it sounds like.:)

G

Gilbert Lopez

Junior Audioholic
Ran RCA cables from the 205's pre outs to the multi channel inputs on the Yamaha using a splitter from the 205 to both subs. I wasn't getting volume initially till I figured out that I had the volume set way to low on the Yamaha. Once I increased the volume as a base volume, I was able to use the 205's remote control for overall volume ( have it set to variable ) I poped in some go to DVD's and blu-ray music concerts like Joe Bonamassa live at the Royal Albert Hall, The Aristocrats live, and Return To Forever live at the Montreux. The first thing I noticed was I wasn't getting enough bass so I went into the 205's speaker configuration and ran test tone using an SPL meter to balance all speakers and subs using the internal trim feature. I played more music and was still missing some pop in the subs so I increased both subs volume by 5db using the handy SVS app. Once I made those adjustments, the audio really came to life! Everything I popped in after that, the clarity and channel separation was awesome! Anyway, just wanted to say Thanks again for the very helpful suggestion. I didn't hook it up the way I thought it was supposed to however, the end result is all that matters! My ears are very pleased!!!:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis