Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones are the first foray into the headphone market from the company that has already taken the DVD and Blu-ray market by storm. The PM-1s surprised us in their ability to play cleanly and clearly with any device or source material. They were light enough for long listening sessions and forgiving of poorly recorded or encoded material. For $1,100, they aren't cheap but they are very, very good. These are reference level headphones. We're also looking forward to their less expensive PM-2 offering coming soon.

Read the Oppo PM-1 Headphone Review

Have you heard these headphones? Please share your experiences.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones are the first foray into the headphone market from the company that has already taken the DVD and Blu-ray market by storm. The PM-1s surprised us in their ability to play cleanly and clearly with any device or source material. They were light enough for long listening sessions and forgiving of poorly recorded or encoded material. For $1,100, they aren't cheap but they are very, very good. These are reference level headphones. We're also looking forward to their less expensive PM-2 offering coming soon.

Read the Oppo PM-1 Headphone Review

Have you heard these headphones? Please share your experiences.
I believe you have a serious mistake on page 2, 2nd sentence.

This is how it currently reads:

One of the advantages of planar over electrostatic drivers is low power requirements. Because the planar driver presents a purely reactive load

I believe reactive should be resistive

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
Great review; I might get these. Put an "E" on "Breath" to make "Breathe".

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I believe you have a serious mistake on page 2, 2nd sentence.

This is how it currently reads:

One of the advantages of planar over electrostatic drivers is low power requirements. Because the planar driver presents a purely reactive load

I believe reactive should be resistive
Thanks I corrected it. And I also correctly talked about the resistive load in the measurement portion of Tom's review.

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
These headphones sound tempting for a music nut like me. Off to buy my lottery ticket now. Letter "Y" is missing from "Yello" on the listening tests page.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
These sound like great headphones but I can't see spending $1100. I don't spend a lot of time using headphones in general, though. My best pair is a Beyerdynamic that I use with my gaming laptop that were less than $300.

Jim

S

swspiers

Audioholic
I'm waiting for the PM-2, but have my eyes (ears) set on the Hifiman HE-560 as well.
Too many great options in headphones lately- but still cheaper than upgrading speakers!

jllaudio

Audiophyte
PM1 Owner and user

I really like the OPPO PM-1. I am able to use it connected directly to my OPPO-105 Blue Ray Player headphone out, My AV Receiver Headphone out and for music only connected to my Lyr headphone amp (which is connected to my Musical Fidelity M1 DAC). The 105 and AV Receiver's headphone amps are more than adequate to drive the PM-1's.

When I am listening to music only, the DAC is connected to my 3TB External Drive (it has 15K+ tracks of 192K/24bit music), which is attached to my Computer. I use JRiver to control play. The sound is fantastic. I stay away from subjective terms like warm, dynamic, etc. What may sound great to me using those terms may sound completely different to someone else.

I love the packaging and it one reason why I wouldn't have waited for a PM2. Having had several OPPO products, the packaging and quality of the product just increases my enjoyment of the experience with OPPO.

avraham

avraham

Audiophyte
I agree that the Oppo PM-1s paired with the BDP-105 is a great combination. I am now going through 400+ SACDs, 2000+ RBCDs, 30+ DVD-As, and 100 hi-rez downloads, everything sounds better and more exciting.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got to hear these over the weekend. Honestly? They rock. As clear of a headphone as I've ever heard. Great sound top to bottom and bass was quite good. Most important thing I think though, they're really comfortable.

K

Karen Molinares

Audioholics Social Media Coordinator
Oppo PM-1 and PM-2 Headphone Review and Comparison

AJM

AJM

Audioholic Intern
I have owned these headphones for about a month. They are simply the best sounding and most comfortable headphones I have ever owned. I can listen to them for hours with no discomfort or listening fatigue. They replaced a set of Grado GS1000e cans, and although they are in the same price bracket, the PM-1 is everything the Grados should have been.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis