OPPO PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones: An Audioholics Sneak Peak

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
OPPO isn't exactly a massive conglomerate producing everything from laundry detergent to A/V equipment; they're a specialty manufacturer of high quality Blu-ray players. As a result, when OPPO announced they were going to bring their PM-1 planar magnetic headphones to market, we were more than a little intrigued. With an MSRP of $1,099, one might reasonably conclude OPPO isn't producing an ordinary set of headphones, an impression furthered by the PM-1s advanced planar magnetic driver and materials quality.

Curious to see more? Read about the OPPO PM-1 headphones here. Is anybody interested in owning a pair?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
A preview announcement posted...with a link that works immediately. Steve is on the job, people!

:)

(Nice preview, btw. I'm just not much of a headphones guy, so I don't have anything to say. Well, outside of "$1100 for headphones?!" :D)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I do have one little addition that might interest folks: word on the street has it that Tom will be reviewing these at some point in the not too distant future.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Considering the weight, sensitivity, and quality of these planars, they could be disruptive. The certainly are disruptive on the Head-fi forums, as people have a hard time grasping a headphone like this that doesn't need a > $1000 amplifier to drive them.

The upcoming PM-2, at a lower price, could be even more interesting.

J

Jerryfish

Audiophyte
I need to have a listen to these! I love the sound of the Audeze headphones and are really,really tempted by a pair of LXD-3 but am holding off until I can hear the PM-1 and matching amplifier! I hear there is also a cheaper PM-2 due.

J

juma victor

Audiophyte
I've now owned these for 2 months with the HA1 amplifier. The combination is excellent. I spent a long time trying to justify spending over £1000 on headphones and the same again on a headphone amplifier. The value comes in getting very close to high end hifi sound when you need to keep sound levels down or the listening environment isn't ideal......and £2100 for the combination is a lot cheaper than my hifi.
I'm sure there are other good models, but this works for me. Very comfortable after over an hour, doesn't over heat your ears, sound is warm and laid back and detail is amazing. If you like crisper more attacking sound with more treble these may not be for you, but if you get a chance, try them. They work even better with the optional balanced cable connection.....but are still very good with the standard connection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis