OPPO or SONY for SACD

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can't afford both so I'll need to decide, OPPO 105 or Sony 5400 for multi channel SACD playback. I like the multi channel RCA output on the OPPO which would allow connection to my Sony TA-P9000ES pre amp. The Sony would require the purchase of a pre/pro with HDMI input it appears for me to enjoy multi channel. Nevertheless the Sony is highly rated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I vote Oppo. Sony has been known to make good higher models, but after owning a number of Oppos, I am sold on them. Plus, you have enough Sony gear :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Another vote for Oppo I just hooked mine up.:D The music sounds great and I still have not hooked my 5.1 yet. Next week is the goal when I get my couch. :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Well I have both. I personally ( just a old guy here) happen to like the analog out of the Sony for 2chl SA-CD vs my OPPO-95, my 95 is getting harsh in the highs but if it were me buying a new player, I would be all over the OPPO-105 which I just ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I have both. I personally ( just a old guy here) happen to like the analog out of the Sony for 2chl SA-CD vs my OPPO-95, my 95 is getting harsh in the highs but if it were me buying a new player, I would be all over the OPPO-105 which I just ordered.
I don't have that harsh with my 95 but I will be trading it in for, or just buy a 105 mainly for the additional features and the no fan design so I will soon find out if they sound different to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are going to use HDMI you may as well just get a 69.99 BDP-S390, 99.99 S590 or the S790 for a little more. So between the two I'll take the Oppo as well.

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I've got an Oppo 95 and an Oppo 93. No regrets, they're worth a bit extra. (No harshness at all on the 95 either analog or digital).

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've got an Oppo 95 and an Oppo 93. No regrets, they're worth a bit extra. (No harshness at all on the 95 either analog or digital).
The harsh is only as a comparison to my Sony 5400es playing 2chl SA-CD. For redbook, I can't really tell the difference between the two players.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have zero harshness on my 83SE via analog, 2ch or multichannel. I still use and enjoy my old 222ES SACD player (my first SACD player) in my second system (just realized I don't have it listed).

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know this is way too early to say for sure, but the 105 seems to sound better than the 95. I always found the 95 in par with my DVD-3930 despite the higher end DAC on board the 95. If I had to choose one I probably would pick the Denon, but the 105 may change my mind. Hard to believe I would actually say this sort of things.:D

S

sterling shoote

I have not made a decision yet. It does seem each has enough appeal that either could satisfy me. I may just ponder it a little more. I wish I had a crystal ball to see where the whole audio thing is going these days. I've recently gotten into computer audio, playing hi-rez HDtracks downloads from my laptop over my HT system using my Sony pre/pro's DAC. It's convenient, my entire CD library is at hand, and it sounds really good. Still, I really like the physical aspects of CD and SACD.

S

sterling shoote

So what did you decide on?
I still have not made a decision. The OPPO will allow multi channel via analog output which the Sony will not, yet the Sony multi channel DSD output over HDMI is appealing. This feature will however require me to buy a receiver to use as a control amp since it appears there are no DSD multi channel DAC's out there. I would like to avoid that expense. Either way its a lot of money so I'm procrastinating a bit.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have been trying hard to convince myself my 105 will sound better than the 8801, 3910, USB DAC/PC/iTune etc., but honestly the biggest/if not only difference I can hear remains the same, namely the source media. If the media is good, be it a CD, SACD, DVDA, HDtrack, BR, streaming, even Airplay, they sound good, otherwise even my most expensive SACD or 192/24 HD track sound bad. So to me the 105 is an easy decision because it's price is unbeatable. I firmly believe any claims about more expensive player sound audibly better are just claims, Placebo at best. I have no regret owning all those players, AVP, DAC but only as hobby and they are my toys, not because they sound different. There are never enough toys, my next one in this category (media players) will likely be the Oppo HA1, and/or Fiio X5.

Are you sure the 105's DSD output over HDMI is not multichannel capable? I have quite a few multichannel SACD but I never play that player as I find the two channel layer sounds more like what I hear in live concerts but now you got me curious enough to find out if the Oppo can do the trick over HDMI.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
Is the DAC in the Oppo unit decent ?

Analog outs are nice, but this means the signal is decoded by the BD player itself, which may yield a questionable quality. Check which DAC is used in this unit. You may decide that purchasing a modern AVR will yield a more desirable solution, whether you use it as-is, or just as a pre/pro for the rest of your gear.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Is the DAC in the Oppo unit decent ?
The Oppo has a stacked pair of ESS Sabre 32 DAC's. I'm surprised this is still being debated; add in the other features/component connections integration flexibility/build quality/price .... the specs & SQ are there ... there is really nothing to say. I suspect this may be more of a aesthetics issue; wanting to mesh with his other gear.

Good luck with your choice, their both top rated equipment. I vote Oppo BDP-105.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Decent? Gene called it the best unit he's ever tested in the AH review :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis