Oppo BDP-83 vs Sony UBP-X800 Disc Compatibility

P

Priece Rich

Audiophyte
My BDP-83 allows the playback of SACD and DVD-Audio discs that have be burned from .ISO files without any errors. My recent purchase of the Sony UBP-X800 gives me errors of "disc unplayable" on all of the aforementioned discs. What does Sony do different from Oppo when it comes to media playback that would cause the errors?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Curious to know if you have the newer 2019 version of the Sony x800, or the older model? They did make some upgrades for the new model that have me on the verge of buying one. :) DVD-A is one of those features that the new model is supposed to do, for example.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again the older Oppos played just about anything. The manual for your units should specify what formats are playable, tho.

P

Priece Rich

Audiophyte
Curious to know if you have the newer 2019 version of the Sony x800, or the older model? They did make some upgrades for the new model that have me on the verge of buying one. :) DVD-A is one of those features that the new model is supposed to do, for example.
*** Purchased April 2019. Curiously there is no manufacture's date stamped anywhere. If there is a date code on the back I couldn't tell. I did check for a firmware update recently and it said that the unit is up to date. Please note that I stated that the discs in question were copies from .ISO files were the ones not playing. *** All commercial DVDs/CDs/DVD-As, and SACDs play as they should.
A friend of mine suggested that my software that I burned the .ISOs with did not properly finalize the discs, hence the inability of the UBP X800 to not recognize them...but if this were the case why does the BDP-83 recognize them and plays them normally?

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Since it's a Sony, I assume the X800 probably has newer and stricter digital rights management (DRM)...
They (Sony) don't want you playing ripped media, thus their detection methods are hard to circumvent...

P

Priece Rich

Audiophyte
Thanks...not trying to get around DRM...just trying to understand what was happening. You've been most helpful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis