• Thread starter sterling shoote
  • Start date
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I’ve had my OPPO since 2017. Just now I discovered there’s one input which does not process the digital input to all channels but instead sends stereo direct to DAC, then off to the front channels only, so no bass management, no sub output. This is the usb B input. For awhile today I thought the OPPO was broken. It is not yet to get bass it looks like I will need to output to A/V Pre-Pro. Just thought I would share this discovery. Now I know why music from iTunes on computer seemed a little bass lite.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Odd the manual doesn't say as much, actually says that you should be able to (pg 20) and they're both USB 3.0 inputs....did you ever discuss with Oppo since you thought it was broken?

S

sterling shoote

Odd the manual doesn't say as much, actually says that you should be able to (pg 20) and they're both USB 3.0 inputs....did you ever discuss with Oppo since you thought it was broken?
Went to AVS Forum and read OPPO literature about each input which made notice of the usb B stereo input sending direct to DAC with output only to front channels. Interestingly enough I now have Airport Express connected to the optical input and using it to receive music in my iTunes Library instead of the usb input the sound is most definitely better since OPPO is delivering bass to sub. Kanya West’s Love Lockdown is earth shaking from the optical connection while the usb connectionyields not so much feeling. Now, there are 3 other usb drive inputs, two on back panel and one in front. Those send to all channels. They accept thumb drives and they process stereo, as well as multi-channel. One more thing, the Network connection is in a word lousy. It’s stereo only, not gapless, and it puts album songs/movements in an alphabetical order For me that input is useless.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did have some faint memory of someone indicating the usb inputs might have different routing, just find it odd the manual doesn't confirm....and I would bring it up with Oppo rather than just trust avs :)

S

sterling shoote

I did have some faint memory of someone indicating the usb inputs might have different routing, just find it odd the manual doesn't confirm....and I would bring it up with Oppo rather than just trust avs :)
Yeah, I have messaged OPPO, but it was OPPO material gleaned on the AVS site not reader post so I have confidence in what I read. The manual and sales literature are pretty complete and accurate except for WLAN info. They don’t reveal that network is just stereo and not gapless as I recall.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I have messaged OPPO, but it was OPPO material gleaned on the AVS site not reader post so I have confidence in what I read. The manual and sales literature are pretty complete and accurate except for WLAN info. They don’t reveal that network is just stereo and not gapless as I recall.
Still find it odd not reflected in the manual....but if actual Oppo material then not so much about avs.....I take it Oppo didn't respond?

S

sterling shoote

Well I just messaged them this morning before I saw their words on the matter later in the day on the AVS site. I hope to hear from them on Monday. At any rate it’s been two years and ten months since I bought the OPPO and I am still short of grasping all its features snd functions. But now I am rapidly in need to grasp since the OPPO has been pressed into preamp duty as my 20 year old Sony TA-E9000ES just died two days ago. I heard 3 or 4 pops from my speakers and then total silence from the TA-E.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I just messaged them this morning before I saw their words on the matter later in the day on the AVS site. I hope to hear from them on Monday. At any rate it’s been two years and ten months since I bought the OPPO and I am still short of grasping all its features snd functions. But now I am rapidly in need to grasp since the OPPO has been pressed into preamp duty as my 20 year old Sony TA-E9000ES just died two days ago. I heard 3 or 4 pops from my speakers and then total silence from the TA-E.
Yeah sorry to see about your Sony, at least your 205 has some good pre-amp capabilities.....

ps What with the covid shutdowns in California hard to know when you might get a response....

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Yeah sorry to see about your Sony, at least your 205 has some good pre-amp capabilities.....

ps What with the covid shutdowns in California hard to know when you might get a response....
Yeah, with Covid perhaps I will not get a response although I bet the technical folks are working from their homes. I am hoping the Sony can be repaired. Might even look for one on eBay before I buy a new pre-pro. None have the analog or digital recording outputs that I need. Right now I am thinking a Parasound P6 stereo preamp will almost cover what processes the Sony handled, even bass management. I have also looked at the Marantz A/V7705 but no means to record to DAT or Compact Cassette. Only thing I'd get that interests me is Atmos. Yet, I play very, very few movies. Mostly for me it's all been about multi-channel SACD and multi-channel downloads from Acoustic Sounds, both enjoyed from the OPPO via a Sony TA-P9000ES analog multi-channel preamp. If I get the Parasound P6 I can route its 2.1 to the front and .1 channels of the TA-P's 5.1 bypass inputs to get output to my 5 channel power amp and mono power amp. At any rate, too much excitement for me to handle at this time since my income is too limited to go on an audio/video shopping spree.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Just opened my email from earlier today. OPPO says no bass from usb B is normal.

S

sterling shoote

They should put that in the damn manual! :)
Yeah, for sure, I guess, I will now go to optical in to enjoy dance music on iTunes. I am going to write an update review on the OPPO, which I will post sometime this morning, which I hope will help any out there thinking about buying one of these units off eBay.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis