basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Just got the Avatar movie in 3D, but for the life of me, I can't get the Oppo to play it in 3D. I've tried toggling 'force 3D off and back on' which worked for the Star Wars movie, but the Avatar disc is refusing to recognize the player as 3D.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just got the Avatar movie in 3D, but for the life of me, I can't get the Oppo to play it in 3D. I've tried toggling 'force 3D off and back on' which worked for the Star Wars movie, but the Avatar disc is refusing to recognize the player as 3D.
I would contact OPPO about the situation. They should be able to help you resolve your problem, unless the problem is with the disc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I pulled my copy out and stuck the disc in while I was playing music, then switched over to the bluray input and got the message the player wasn't reporting being connected to a 3d tv. I reinserted the disc while it was on the bluray input and got the message again. Then I checked my 3d settings, forgot I'd turned 3D to off (in the setup menu) instead of having it on auto. Once I fixed that it played fine...

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
To be sure my setup was working, I pulled out the Star Wars 3D movie and loaded it. It came up in 3D. So it's the disc.

A bit later, I put the Avatar disc back in and lo and behold, IT came up in 3D. So there is something that changing discs did to get the system into the right state to play the movie. Very inconvenient, having to mess around for almost 30 minutes before finally getting this to work. Seems random!

I've already blasted an e-mail to Oppo about this.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I received the following response from Oppo:

"We are aware of issues with 3D movies from Disney and the issue seems to only affect 3D movies from Disney. We've been trying to resolve the issue, but unfortunately haven't been able to pinpoint the culprit as sometimes a simple power cycle or reloading the disc will resolve it."

Although, these movies are 20th Century Fox. But it seems they DO know there's an issue with certain movie studios.

When it works, it really transforms the viewing experience. When it doesn't, it's frustrating.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've discussed problem discs with them in the past and they said it has to do with the fact that the companies change their video encoding often enough that even from the same studio you can get one disc that works and another that does not (different films, not the same one). It normally requires them to update the decoders on the player side, but they have to figure out what exactly is causing it first.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
That's what STANDARDS are supposed to be for. Once they adopt a standard, ALL discs should be 100% compliant. Someone dropped the ball somewhere along the line.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's what STANDARDS are supposed to be for. Once they adopt a standard, ALL discs should be 100% compliant. Someone dropped the ball somewhere along the line.
Or perhaps just a bit too much paranoia about drm.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Standards change; that is pretty much a given. Studios are working on the next version and the manufacturers may not see it for a while.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Until the BD format came out, prior standards were static. You didn't need a firmware upgrade on your DVD player for every new movie you rented.

I learned that HDCP is a lot of the reasons why computer users have to put up with scrambled desktops when they turn on or off an HDMI display.

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
The last couple of firmware updates seem to have fixed the problems with 3D movies not recognizing the player as 3D capable. However, I noticed that the Network portion of the menu works in a much more cumbersome way now.

I used to select Network and look for the Penguin icon and click on it and go right to my media files.

Now there's no penguin icon, just the name of the DLNA server and when I click on that, I have to wade through a massive directory structure several levels deep now to find my media.

What changed?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis