H

hk7300

Enthusiast
Here's my dilema i want to buy a new flagship receiver and need to know what model is the best, brand is irrelevant.I currently have a pioneer vsx 49txi still works as good as the day it was new it was a little over 4000 bucks when new after taxes.I have yet to need hdmi in a receiver as all my transports are plugged into my monitor.I have 5 pro amps driving 2 front peavey sp 4bx,2 electro voice live x elx215 for surrounds and 2 mcCauley 10" drivers in a pa cabinet with a 1" horn cd for center channel.Yes it will part your hair down the middle if not i would not have it.I know it might sound strange but my only requirements is it must be a flagship model as i want to compare sound quality after 14 yrs vs the 49.Also would like to know why you choose x vs y, personal experience or what.I promise i have not looked to see what is available as i want to see some opinions before i take a gander.Thanks in advance to those who will respond.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If they must be a flagship model then the obvious choices are the Yamaha RX-A3050, Denon AVR-X7200W and Marantz SR7010. The Yamaha and the Denon both have the higher end DACs and the Denon is actually the real flagship among the D&M products. For me, the choice would be the Denon but only because it comes with Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ HT that works well in my setup. If you don't care for their built in Room EQ and bass management features then you can flip the coin or go with Yamaha for their seemingly (no proof really) better reliability record. Both should compare well with, and likely better than the Pioneer in terms of sound quality, theoretically speaking, based on available specs, and their predecessor models bench test data. Note that my comments refer to the prepro part only, assuming you will continue to use external power amps.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Are you using the amplifier of the receiver to drive these speakers, or simply the pre-outs to use with the 'pro amps'?

Every product PENG just mentioned has a similar preamp variant, by manufacturer, and may be better suited to your needs. Otherwise, have fun and post some pics of it!

H

hk7300

Enthusiast
Thanks PENG for your response.As Audyssey or any room correction that is a moot point with me as i am a tweaker (audio only) and i never did like the way the 49 set my speakers.The 49 has a custom 1 and custom 2 manual set up i am assuming the new models have this option as well. 99% of the time i listen to music so i have custom 1 set with a little on the trebly side and custom 2 set a little on the bassy side as some songs need some treble and some songs bass so i just switch to whatever i need.If i remember correctly the 49 was the first receiver to offer automatic room correction so i would suspect they have improved upon that somewhat.As far as will i keep using my amps absolutely,i doubt the amps in the 49 would tickle the spiders in the dual 15's i have not tried it so i doubt the new stuff is any more powerful than the 49 amps i might be wrong though that happens sometimes lol.Here's some info on my speakers the sp 4's are 1000 watt continuous 2000 program (music) and 4000 peak.The EV ELX215'S are 600 watt cont.1200 program 2400 peak.The McCauley woofers in my center channel are 600 watt cont. a piece as you can see the amps in the 49 are not even close to the power that's needed.Warrior,as far as pics are concerned i'll have to bum my wife's android or my daughter's iphone cuz my 20 dollar flip phone is incapable of such things,i'll get them up as soon as i can that way ya'll won't think i am a smoke blower.Thanks for your response Warrior.I will delve into those suggested model #'s today.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Your previous post is very confusing. I suggest the following format for detailing your current or proposed setup.

Amps:

L-R Speakers:

C Speaker:

Surrounds:

Subwoofers:

List them with the amps and or any other processors involved. The paragraph is great for fiction, but terrible for engineering.

H

hk7300

Enthusiast
  • I get your point Isiberian.Pop up says the following error occurred you cannot post links or e mail addresses until 10 posts.this is due to prevent spam.CRAZY!!!!!!!!!Sooo i will bump this 8 times get ready for some bumps.​

H

hk7300

Enthusiast
Ok now maybe it will let me post my gear lol. Amps:One Samson SX1800-Two Samson SX2800-One Samson SX3200-One Crown XLI 3500 Front Speakers:Two Peavey SP 4BX L&R Center Speaker:Two 10 inch McCauley drivers in a revamped pa cabinet Surrounds:Two Electro Voice ELX215 L&R Subs:None at this time (coming soon) Processors:Gateway windows 8-Pioneer vsx-49txi Transports:pioneer Elite DV-79AVI-Sony BDP-S300 Pics coming sometime today i hope.​

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Does anybody ever bother with line breaks anymore? or reading forum rules/faq....

@hk7300 Please DO use LINE BREAKS and his comment specifically mentioned this

It makes it easier to read, after all you came here asking for advice - do make an effort to make our life a bit easier. No need for links or photos yet. Just make it a list, not blob of text

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Amps:

-One Samson SX1800
-Two Samson SX2800
-One Samson SX3200
-One Crown XLI 3500

Front Speakers:

-Two Peavey SP 4BX L&R

Center Speaker:

-Two 10 inch McCauley drivers in a revamped pa cabinet

Surrounds:

-Two Electro Voice ELX215 L&R

Subs:

-None at this time (coming soon)

Processors:
-Gateway windows 8
-Pioneer vsx-49txi

Transports:

-Pioneer Elite DV-79AVI
-Sony BDP-S300

BSA, he tried. He's using a flip phone to post all this. He was putting breaks in on his phone but they did not translate on the forum.

I'm assuming he did not read the rules on his flip phone. I'm surprised he's made this much progress without a computer or smart phone.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Seth.
It sounds to like OP don't need a receiver at all.
What you need is solid pre-pro. Since you love to ticket with settings, I think this is what you'd want:
https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1
Balanced outputs is neat bonus to match with rest of your PA stuff

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
If you don't know which features you want and will use, why do you want a top line receiver? Do you just want to spend a lot of money just in case?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you don't know which features you want and will use, why do you want a top line receiver? Do you just want to spend a lot of money just in case?
You have to spend money, otherwise you can get a burn injury...in your pants.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis