Opinions needed....

C

Camisano

Enthusiast
Hello all, I am new here and this is my first post. I would like some input on a purchase of a new receiver. I presently own a Harman Kardon AVR85 running through a Harman Kardon PA5800 5-channel amp. The main speakers are a pair of Klipsch SF-2 using reference series feet so that spikes can be utilized. The Center is a Klipsch SC-1. Rears are presently 4 Klipsch quientets. Last the Sub is a Klipsch RSW-10.

I was away for 2 weeks during the Holidays and when I came back the iR sensor on the receiver stopped working and this receiver loses all set up functions w/o the remote. I first thought of maybe a power outage but none of the clocks were blinking in the house and I am also using a Panamax MAX5100 for sure protection and line conditoning, so I am sure that would have covered that.

So now my dilema is picking a new receiver. I am presently looking at the PIONEER VSX-56TXi, DENON AVR-3805B and the ONYO TX-NR901. I was wondering if any of you have had experience w/ these or have seen detailed reviews on them. I have already seen the review on the AVR-3805 by Audioholics and I was so amazed at how detailed they were with the write up. So if anyone can tell me their opinons it would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I will continue to use the Klipsch speakers and if I replace them they will be replaced by the Klipsch Signature (if / when released) or the reference series when funds are available.

Now I myself have worked in the Audio / Home theater business for almost 10 years in the past and I have dealt w/ Denon and Onkyo, but I have never really had the chance to deal w/ Pioneer Elite products so I do not know the characterisitcs of their product.

Thank You,
Chris

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I vote for the Denon as I have owned a Denon before (3802) and was very happy with the performance, although I think all 3 of the ones you have narrowed it down to are good choices. Only you can decide which one you wanna sink your $ into. It would probably come down to features and how well you like the way it works.

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
I've had great experiences with both Onkyo and Denon, but that was from last decade and in the audio industry, "everything starts from now."

If they're priced comparably, you're probably fine with any one of those three, but my instinct still steers me away from the Pioneer for no good reason.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Do you have in mind staying with HK?. The other day i saw the HK AVR 630 and it seemed pretty cool (i still don't like the design, but many people like it), but a little bit expensive, $1,200. Sounded terrific!

C

Camisano

Enthusiast
I am not sure if I will stay with Harman Kardon. I have not heard much positive feedback on customer service with Harman Kardon. Last I want is having a problem and then dealing with weeks or months trying to get the unit fixed or replaced. If I were to stay w/ harman it would probably be the AVR 7300.

For some reason though I feel like I am leaning toward the Denon AVR 3805 which has 3 Component inputs and I can also upgrade the power chord which does make a difference. I also like the fact that the Denon has 2 assignable 12v triggers. Also like I said before I have dealt w/ Denon for quite some time and liked their product a lot.

The Onkyo has net-tune and is THX certified, but I am using software called e-Jukebox which is great ( www.audiosoft.net ) and I am not going to lose sleep over the Denon being THX certified or not. I do not have the money or the proper room settings to be building a THX room. The Onkyo only has 2 Component inputs and I cannot upgrade the power chord.

The Pioneer only has 2 component Inputs and there is nothing else there that is pushing me in t's direction.

Well we will see I am hoping that w/ in the next month I will be ordering the Denon AVR 3805. My dream would have been the AVR4806 but at a whopping $3,500 msrp. That is quite insane. When we dealt with the AVR4802R, we were dealing w/ a receiver that went for $2,499. They raised the price $1000. Oh well.

Thank you for those who had some input on my questions and if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know........

Chris

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing I can tell you about the 3805, it is not just quiet, it is silent. No hiss, and no transformer hum. In fact, its transformer is much quieter than my more expensive power amp's toroidal one.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Camisano said:
For some reason though I feel like I am leaning toward the Denon AVR 3805 which has 3 Component inputs and I can also upgrade the power chord which does make a difference. lot.

The Onkyo only has 2 Component inputs and I cannot upgrade the power chord.

Thank you for those who had some input on my questions and if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know........

Chris
I have a suggestion. Take the money you were going to waste on the replacement power cord(s) and send it to the Red Cross for tsunami aid. You system will sound no different with or without the new cord and you will be using your money for something that will actually make a difference. Replacement power cords, oh please, get a grip man.

C

Camisano

Enthusiast
Nick

Thank you for your opinion......first off you should not put your 2 sense in where it is not needed....My wife and I have donated tremendously over the years to different orgs. So please don't preach.....especially to me.

C

calgarianperson

Junior Audioholic
i like the selection youve made and of the three id pick the denon... but i too who am looking for a new reciever in the near future am impressed by the Yamaha rx2500... it is a comparable reciever and is backed by a company with a stellar customer service reputation.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Camisano said:
Nick

Thank you for your opinion......first off you should not put your 2 sense in where it is not needed....My wife and I have donated tremendously over the years to different orgs. So please don't preach.....especially to me.
Camisano, when you post here asking for opinions about receivers and write "For some reason though I feel like I am leaning toward the Denon AVR 3805 which has 3 Component inputs and I can also upgrade the power chord which does make a difference," you are IMO opening yourself up to exactly the kind of response I made. The "tsunami aid" comment was made to make a point of just how mind boggling it is to me that a seemingly intelligent person would actually buy into the after market power cord snake oil trap, not that you personally may or may not be a compassionate individual who contributes generously to charitable causes.

So there you have it. I stand by my original post and I hope the above clarifies where I was coming from.

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Good Point

calgarianperson said:
i like the selection youve made and of the three id pick the denon... but i too who am looking for a new reciever in the near future am impressed by the Yamaha rx2500... it is a comparable reciever and is backed by a company with a stellar customer service reputation.
I own the Denon 3805 and am quite happy with the receiver, though the remote control kind of sucks a lot. I like the idea of adding the Yamaha 2500 to your short list. Looking at the two Audioholics reviews, I think the Denon has a better amp while the Yamaha DSP and YPAO functions are discussed in more positive terms.

If I was in the market for a $1,000 AVR, I would be hard pressed to choose between the Denon 3805 and the Yamaha 2500. I might choose differently and go with the Yamaha....

Good luck ...

C

Camisano

Enthusiast
Nick

Thank you for your input....I am sure you know what you are talking about and I am not going to make this thread into a bashing / dispute session. I did not join this forum to get into these debates and issues. Have a nice day.

Chris

C

calbear

Audiophyte
Did you decide?

Camisano;

Have you decided on which receiver? Did you review the Yamaha RX-V2500? I have read many good reviews on both the Denon AVR-3805 and the RX-V2500. Recall only seeing one review on the Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi.

If recalling correctly, the 56TXi is the only one of the three (AVR-3805, Rx-V2500, 56TXi) that has IEEE1394 fireware and USB. Are these two the deciding factor to go with the 56TXi? I don't know and the answer may only be if one needs them or is going to use them.

The AVR-3805 has the "Denon Link 3rd Edition for “one-cable” SACD and DVD-Audio decoding from compatible Denon DVD players", but the key words are "from compatible Denon DVD players". At least I have not read that the Link can be used with non-Denon DVDs.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure if H/K is off you list but...

One Call is running an amazing deal on the HK7300 which I think may be the best AVR on the market. I own the 3805 myself and if I were deciding between $1200 on the 3805 and $1400(I think) on the HK7300 it would be the H/K without a question. The difference in amplifier sections alone more than justify the price difference.

Check out the Deals, deals, deals thread for that post...

Good luck!

C

Camisano

Enthusiast
Thank You so much for the input...I have not seen any reviews from Magazines or audio sites on the Pioneer 56TXi yet. I am waiting to see what they have to say. Like I said, I was impressed in the detail from Audioholics review on the Denon AVR3805, I am hoping to see a review similar on the pioneer.

As stated in the beginning of the post I presently own a HK AVR85 running throught a HK PA-5800. The Receivers iR sensor is not working so I am looking to replace it. The only problem I am having right now is that I'm hearing to many negative comments about the HK Customer service level and I do not feel like dealing w/ a nightmare if something is wrong.

I know someone down in Naples Florida that owns a Custom theater Install shop and he told me I should go B&K, was not given any prices yet...any input on B&K product being used w/ Klipsh SF2's : Klipsch SC-1 : Klipsch SS-1's : Klipsch RSW-10.

Chris

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
B&K is nice stuff. It's also quite expensive. However, while I like their amps, I wonder about their nice pre-pro. It only has an 89dB S/N ratio. For something in its kind of price bracket, it should be at LEAST 100dB.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
B&K

I noticed that about B&k amps as well. The models I were considering had
S/N ratios of around 95...which were still 10-15 db below comparible models from Parasound, Rotel, ATI, and even Adcom. I've heard that amplifier specs aren't the last word in performance and sound...and I have heard B&K amps and they do sound good so I'm not too sure how much stock to put in that spec.

Any enlightened thoughts on the importance of S/N ratios in amp specs?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I will reference the CEDIA article on room isolation by Mr. Hart:

plhart said:
For instance, the signal-to-noise ratio of a receiver or pre-pro plus amplifier needs to be greater than 96dB. High quality amplification components most times have no problem meeting this spec, many having S/N ratios over 100dB. So let’s proceed to the listening environment. For it is the listening environment which is always the biggest roadblock to extended dynamic range.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Camisano said:
Thank You so much for the input...I have not seen any reviews from Magazines or audio sites on the Pioneer 56TXi yet. I am waiting to see what they have to say. Like I said, I was impressed in the detail from Audioholics review on the Denon AVR3805, I am hoping to see a review similar on the pioneer.
Chris
Would you be interested to see the review on the 55Txi instead?

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/

Here you will also find reviews on the Yamaha RX-V2400, Denon AVR3805, HKAVR630 and others. After reading their lab measurements, you would likely lean even more towards the 3805.

C

Camisano

Enthusiast
Peng,

Thank you for informing me on the review of the 55TXi. Thanks Again......

Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis