open back headphones for 200$

B

Backlawa

Audiophyte
hi , I'm new here and I want to get to upgrade to better headphones , currently I'm undecided between the hifiman he4xx , sennheiser hd6xx and the beyerdynamic dt990 pro , I'm currently not planning on purchasing an amp , I'm a heavy user , mainly watching very HQ media on my phone and laptop for long periods of time , I currently have closed back headphones , I have never listened to open back ones , I care mainly about the sound , and the like 10% about comfort , but I'll prefer headphones that sound the best rather than the most comfortable. thanks in advance.(btw , I'm from Israel).

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The monoprice monolith planers are another good set.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would look for the Sennheiser HD6XX or AKG K7XX. I personally like the HD6XX better for sound quality and for comfort as well but this is more of personal preferences, both are great cans.

B

Backlawa

Audiophyte
I would look for the Sennheiser HD6XX or AKG K7XX. I personally like the HD6XX better for sound quality and for comfort as well but this is more of personal preferences, both are great cans.
and how do those compare to the 4xx?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

and how do those compare to the 4xx?
I personally like Sennheiser/AKG better. But I'm sure there are many who disagree but sound and comfort is about personal preferences.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I own Senn 558 and 600 and AKG K712Pro (few Fostex as well). AKG is MUCH more comfortable, but I prefer (very slightly) the sound of 600.
HD6xx is a clone of HD650, not 600 and 650 has reportedly brigher sound to them.
Planar sound can be very open/airy and "sweet", but only in semi-closed back. In the open back version, I didn't care for plannars much.

OP, none of your choices are bad, just watch out for phones impedance. 250-300oh and you'll need a dedicated headphones amp to drive them - ie - useless on mobile devices.

P

papa1000

Audiophyte
What is the best headphones for android telephones?

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
My wife and I both have Sennheiser Game One headsets. Granted they’re headsets and not purely stereo headphones, they’re some of the best headphones either of us have ever used. I’d have no hesitation picking up a set of headphones from Sennheiser if I were in the market.

G

genewiseman

Audiophyte
I have a set of the Hifiman 4xx's and really like them but they are my only experience with higher end headphones. I do drive them with a Shiit Magni amplifier. I doubt that they would work well without an amplifier.

2channel lover

I have a pair of Hi-Fi Man HE-400i...this model benefits from a DAC/Amp upgrade, but unlike the upper (500, 560, etc.) models it's not really a deal killer if you don't have a DAC/Amp upgrade. I've used them with my phone and ipod with reasonably good success, but I would recommend the upgraded DAC/Amp to get the best SQ.

I've demoed other brands, like Senns, Grado, but have not spent any length of time with them. 5 yrs into them I'm going to need to replace the ear cups soon, but SQ wise they are pretty good.

Mine were a bit more than $200 but they run promotional pricing at times. For open back cans with strong bass, these are should be pretty competitive.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Grado SR 80's are good for the price. Grado 500's are expensive for what they are. Grado 325's are too harsh treble-wise. I've owned all three.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with RedCharles. I use the Grado SR 80's and they sound pretty neutral. A good affordable product.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I've two Beyerdynamics DT 880 Edition, 250 Ohm, that I bought six years ago and both me and my wife are very pleased with them. I like their sound, they are very comfortable, looks nice and can take a beating.

There are also a Pro version of the DT 880 and the difference is harder head clamping and a coiled cable. For both Edition version you can choose among 32 Ohm, 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm impedance, while for the Pro it is 250 Ohm.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis