OnkyoTX-SR602 with Axiom/SVS or Polk?

P

preddy97

Audiophyte
Hello Audio Experts,

You guys are great and I have learnt a lot over the past couple of weeks since I first stumbled upon this forum. I have had Bose lifestyle 12 for the last 4 years and though its time to get ride of bose and get some good speaker and receiver.

I just bought Onkyo TX-SR602 receiver and am leaning towards Axiom speakers and SVS sub. Below is the speaker combination that I am planning:
Axiom M60ti Front L & R
Axiom VP150 Center
Axiom QS8 Surround L & R
SVS 20-39PCi or SVS 16-46PCi subwoofers

I was also thinking about the following Polk speaker’s combination:
Polk RTi 10 Front L & R
Polk CSi 5 center
Polk FXi 5 Surround L & R
Polk PSW 505 or 404 subwoofers

My family room is about 32 ft X 18 ft and I will set up the speaker or my surround sound for a 20ft X 18 ft area. I wanted to get some opinion before I finalized on the speakers:
1. Is the Axiom/SVS combo better or Polk combo better with the Onkyo receiver?
2. Between SVS 20-39PCi and SVS 16-46PCi subwoofers which one do you guys think would be better? Not sure if I should spend the extra $50 on 16-46PCi or just go with 20-39PCi and use the extra $50 for shipping or buy a good pair of sub woofer cables?
3. Are there any other better sounding speakers in this price range?
4. Anything else that I might be missing here?
5. I have not seen a lot of acundefinedtivity on TX-SR602 in this forum so are there other receivers in this price range that is better than Onkyo?

I will use the speakers for about 55% music and 45% movies.

I have heard a lot of good things about Axiom but not heard a lot about Polk RTi series speakers so though will check with the experts.

Thanks,
Narayan

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
preddy97 said:
Hello Audio Experts,

You guys are great and I have learnt a lot over the past couple of weeks since I first stumbled upon this forum. I have had Bose lifestyle 12 for the last 4 years and though its time to get ride of bose and get some good speaker and receiver.

I just bought Onkyo TX-SR602 receiver and am leaning towards Axiom speakers and SVS sub. Below is the speaker combination that I am planning:
Axiom M60ti Front L & R
Axiom VP150 Center
Axiom QS8 Surround L & R

Polk RTi 10 Front L & R
Polk CSi 5 center

My family room is about 32 ft X 18 ft and I will set up the speaker or my surround sound for a 20ft X 18 ft area. I wanted to get some opinion before I finalized on the speakers:
2. Between SVS 20-39PCi and SVS 16-46PCi subwoofers which one do you guys think would be better? Not sure if I should spend the extra $50 on 16-46PCi or just go with 20-39PCi and use the extra $50 for shipping or buy a good pair of sub woofer cables?
5. I have not seen a lot of acundefinedtivity on TX-SR602 in this forum so are there other receivers in this price range that is better than Onkyo?
I can not help you with the speaker issue other than audition, audition, audition. The sound of speakers is very subjective. What I like in a speaker you might find intolerable. In regards to the receiver it is my opinion that within the price range of the TX SR602 the Yamaha or Denon would be about equal so your decision on the SR602 is fine. Also don't worry about matching your receiver to certain speakers because the receiver brand does not really impact the sound to any audible extent. Speaker choice and room acoustics are what impacts 99% of what your hear.

Nick

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
Jest an Opinion

preddy97 said:
Hello Audio Experts,

Axiom M60ti Front L & R
Axiom VP150 Center
Axiom QS8 Surround L & R

Polk RTi 10 Front L & R
Polk CSi 5 center

I will use the speakers for about 55% music and 45% movies.

I have heard a lot of good things about Axiom but not heard a lot about Polk RTi series speakers so though will check with the experts.

Thanks,
Narayan
Howdy. FWIW, I have an Axiom/SV combo that's very close to what you are considering -- M60s, QS8s, VP150 and the SV PB-12/ISD-2. I'm happy with it, running off a Denon 3805. I just finished playing King's College Choir (2-channel CD) O Come All Ye Faithful Christmas album. I highly recommend it as a demo CD, because you've got a children's choir and an insane church organ. I was running the 5-channel stereo mode ... and I swear the house was shaking on some of the low notes, even though the volume was low. And the children's voices were sweet ... just right.

But as most everybody will tell you, you and your ears have to be happy and nobody else can tell you ahead of time what you'll like.

All I can say (which is all anybody else can say) is that I took the plunge and bought my system and am happy with it. But your mileage may vary.

Zarg

P

preddy97

Audiophyte
Thanks Zarg and Nick.
I think I am ready to audition the speakers and check it out myself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis