audionovice

Audiophyte
I am setting up a new home theater system in my house. I don't want to go overboard at first. The two receivers that I am trying to decide between are the Onkyo SR601 and the Marantz 5400. Any thoughts?

audioman00

Audioholic
? answered

IMHO I was not that pleased with my onkyo, exept for the power output was good. I thin marantz builds a better quality unit that will sound just as good and last longer. I bet the marantz cost more too right? :rolleyes:

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Depends on your preference for the sonic character, Onkyo builds solid units and they use good power supplies but the Marantz too is quite well built. You should thorougly audition both with the speakers you intend to play them back with and then decide.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
In my opinion-Marantz. I auditioned both receivers (as well as the HK AVR230, see other current post) and the Marantz is, in my opinion, far superior in music reproduction, and as good if not better in home theater.

The Marantz is flatter and more natural. It has a tighter and more subtle bass and highs that are detailed but not "sharp" or "harsh".

Both are good build quality and have nice amounts of power but the Marantz would have been my choice hands down.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis