Onkyo TX-SR875 and Toshiba XA2

T

T-R

Audiophyte
Hi! I have a question regarding TX-SR875. I am almost done building my first HT and currently have Toshiba XA2, but no receiver yet.
So my dilemma is: do I get TX-SR805 or TX-SR875? Since XA2 already has Reon, does it make sense to buy TX-SR875? I am not a wizard on HT so I am not sure if cable HD channels would benefit from TX-SR875's Reon chip, for example. If the cable wouldn't benefit, is there any other benefit?

I have Polk LSi9 surround setup and will get the amps eventually, so the power output isn't that important I guess.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
They are pretty in line in terms of power and overall connectivity. The TX-SR875 has one more HDMI input (to make 4 inputs and 1 output) as well as composite video support for Zone 3.

IMO, just get the TX-SR805 as the scaling will be essentially the same if not better on the HD-XA2. They have the same processing features for audio.

Concerning your Cable, if the channels come in HD or certain programs, the Reon Chip would only be upscaling from 1080i to 1080p, not a huge difference unless you sit right next to the TV. It also depends on the native resolution of the TV. Is the TV 1080p or just 1080i/720p? Even if the TV is 1080p they have decent scalers that can generally handle that pretty well.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I would not count on the REON doing miracles for your SD TV but it will make some difference. It did cut down the noise for me but made the picture softer.

If you are planning on using another source that would benefit I would say it is worth it but the XA2 is a great scaler for regular DVD's so you really don't need another player.

T

T-R

Audiophyte
Thanks guys!
I have Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR, which I think is 1080p. I guess I will be fine with TX-SR805.
So basically in terms of picture quality, the only benefit TX-SR875 has over TX-SR805 is the Reon chip (which will be redundant since I have Reon in my HD-DVD)?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Looks like the REON chip, 10wpc, 1 HDMI input and possible the DAC's are what separates the two. So if you don't need/want these extra's then the 805 will work great for you. Just give them some breathing room. (they seem to run hot)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like the REON chip, 10wpc, 1 HDMI input and possible the DAC's are what separates the two. So if you don't need/want these extra's then the 805 will work great for you. Just give them some breathing room. (they seem to run hot)
What are the DAC differences. I know they both use Burr Brown DACs.:confused:

And I would ignore that extra 10 watts per channel, it means next to nothing.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis