onkyo tx-sr601 too loud

B

bipinonline

Audiophyte
I have a onkyo tx-sr601 receiver which I bought 5 months back. I hooked it to SKS-HT520 speakers. When the volume is around 60, the voice in the movies is not clear and audible. If I increase the volume to 70, the voice is audible but the sound effects are too loud. My front speakers are setup at Large, I tried with the small setup but that makes the voice too low to hear.
Please advice...

BipS

nav

nav

Audioholic
That makes me think that you have the center channel enabled but not hooked up or something along those lines.

Do you have all six speakers hooked up? Are you using a special DSP mode or anything?

If everything is "correct" as far as you can tell, you might want to try raising the center channel's relative volume. The center channel is generally responsible for most of the dialog.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
bipinonline said:
I have a onkyo tx-sr601 receiver which I bought 5 months back. I hooked it to SKS-HT520 speakers. When the volume is around 60, the voice in the movies is not clear and audible. If I increase the volume to 70, the voice is audible but the sound effects are too loud. My front speakers are setup at Large, I tried with the small setup but that makes the voice too low to hear.
Please advice...

BipS
Does your receiver have an internal eq? If so, you need to boost your center channels midrange frequencies of say, 800Hz to 2000Hz. That should help you out in the short term. You really need to do this will all your speakers. Finally, like Nav says, you can raise the db level of your center channel relative to your other speakers.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
bipinonline said:
Please advice...

BipS
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious but it sounds to me like you simply need to properly adjust the individual speaker levels, especially the center. Have you done that?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'll second this suggestion.

Nick250 said:
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious but it sounds to me like you simply need to properly adjust the individual speaker levels, especially the center. Have you done that?
Now this is when reading the manual comes in handy. It's surprising how few ever think of that before posting here. These ain't $15 am/fm pocket radios. These are very complex pieces of equipment that take a little learning to use properly.

B

bipinonline

Audiophyte
Thankyou for all ur replies.
I have the center channel enabled and connected. I am not using any special DSP effects. The setting I can do, are increase the DB level of the center channel. I have other settings to increase the treble/bass.
Increasing the center channel DB level helped with the voice but the effects sound loud.
Please let me know if I should be increasing/decreasing the treble/bass settings.

Thanks
BipS

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
bipinonline said:
I have the center channel enabled and connected. I am not using any special DSP effects. The setting I can do, are increase the DB level of the center channel. I have other settings to increase the treble/bass.
Increasing the center channel DB level helped with the voice but the effects sound loud.
Please let me know if I should be increasing/decreasing the treble/bass settings.

Thanks
BipS
The bass/treble settings will do little to help you. If your receiver does not have a parametric equalizer, then you are pretty much out of luck. You have something called Cinema Re-EQ. In the manual, what exactly is it, and how do you use it?

www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR601&class=Receiver&p=i

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
bipinonline said:

Thanks
BipS
Your receiver has a "late night" setting. It cuts down the dynamic range (volume) of the sound effects. I think it will do just what you want.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis