Onkyo TX-SR601 6.1 Subwoofer ?

O

onebad76bronco

Audiophyte
I have a Onkyo TX-SR601 6.1 receiver with an 150 watt JBL 10" sub. Everything was working fine until a few months ago my sub just stopped working. I have a RCA cable hooked up to the subout on the receiver. Last night i tried another RCA cable just to check and it didnt work. I tried to get a test tone from the speaker test and still nothing. I then took the speaker wires off my right front speaker and hooked it to the sub speaker inputs and it worked fine. It seems something with the receiver sub out is not working. I dont know if its a setting on the receiver or what. The sub is checked as being there in the speaker selection as well. The sub has a green indicator light that stays on for awhile then it will go red. I really miss my subwoofer!

Could this output be blown? If so, how would this happen, wouldnt the sub be blown too? Any other ideas on how to test this output to see what is going on.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

J

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Apples to oranges.

If the sub doesn't work when you feed a line level input from the receiver, but it DOES work when you feed it a speaker level signal, then you still have the possibility of the sub's amp being blpwn.

Try feeding it from another line level source. Any line level source., say a CD player

If it stills sounds silent, then, in all probability, it's the sub's amp that died.

It may sound bassy and bad, but it it sounds at all, you've proven that the sub's amp is working and you've isolated it to the receiver.
I'd start checking all my settings there.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Receiver Settings...

- Make sure subwoofer is set to 'yes' in the speaker setup menu.
- Check the level of the subwoofer in the receiver; if it is set very low the sub will go into standby and the signal won't be strong enough to 'wake it up'. I would try to have it set to zero or greater in the receiver and turn up the volume on the sub if necessary.

If either of those settings are incorrect, it could explain why the sub works with speaker level inputs and not line level inputs. Try markw's suggestion of using a different line-level output from the receiver too - if that works then the problem could actually be with the receiver's sub pre-out.

O

onebad76bronco

Audiophyte
thanks for the info, i will try using my cd player tonight. I didnt even think it could be the amp. Probably better if it was the sub amp, its cheaper to replace a sub than the receiver. Plus easier to swap out.

MDS: sub is set to yes in speaker setup menu, and last night i tried changing the levels to get it to produce anything, still nothing. I went thru all the menus and they all looked correct.

thanks again

J

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
My Onkyo 595 sub pre out just up and died after about 4 years. One day it worked, the next it did not. I ran the sub for a year or so running my main speakers outs to sub and and then on to the mains from the sub. I did not notice any sound degradation, worked fine until the moving company dropped it.

Nick

O

onebad76bronco

Audiophyte
well, i tested the sub amp last night with my cd player and it works. So it seems it has to be the receiver pre out. I double checked all of the settings on the receiver and just cant get any output.

Anyone know what is involved in getting this fixed or the technical side of how the preout is wired inside the unit, what could possibly be bad? If i take it to a repair shop, probably be cheaper to buy a new receiver than to get it fixed. If its a chip or something i can resolder on, i can probably handle it.

Again any help is greatly appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis