P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
Wish I would have got in on that deal, Abt is back up to $2000. Which seems to be the going rate. That is $830 more than the 875, I might have to wait for a price break again, before being able to justify that difference.

J

Janik

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, there were a few places offering the 905 last fall between 1500 - 2000, but after xmas I could not find anywhere less than 1999. I simply don't know what drives the pricing. All I can suggest is be patient.

A

automagic

Audiophyte
Yeah, there were a few places offering the 905 last fall between 1500 - 2000, but after xmas I could not find anywhere less than 1999. I simply don't know what drives the pricing. All I can suggest is be patient.
The difference is the drop in the dollar valuation. Now imports cost more so don't look for those super cheap prices until the dollar gets stronger.

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
Well I bit the bullet and bought the 875 at Amazon for $1168.00. Just too much of a savings. I am probably going to take the extra money and buy the Denon bluray player if it ever comes out.
Read a lot of reviews on the 875, the only thing they complained about was the heat, so I spent another $80 on an antec component cooler, just to keep the bases covered. A LOT of bang for the buck. Onkyo has to license all that technology, and to still make the price so competitve is amazing.
I will run the thing hard for a month, if I have any problems Amazon has a great return policy so I think I am pretty well covered.

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
One other thing, the Onkyo 875 just won the Editor's choice award at Sound and Vision magazine, along with 21 other AV products. Only one other receiver, the Denon 4308CI.

Y

yount01

Audiophyte
Even getting a hands on look at the 905 has been an issue for me. In DEC 07 I cut a deal with a local supplier where I paid for an Onkyo 905 and took home a new 875 until it came in. Last night I finally got a call to pick up the 905 and will install today.

About the 875 - WOW! This replaced a Denon 3805 mainly to simplify component switching and take advantage of 7.1 TruHD/HD Master titles through an HDMI connection. Short of the mic included for Audessy setup being inadiquate, I perceived much more audio depth for my 7.1 setup in all audio and AV formats than I ever got out of the 3805.

So, the 905 goes in today and while I'm really looking forward to it there is a lot to live up to even match what the 875 already provides.

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
yount01, you are in the same situation I was. I replaced a 3805 with a Denon 875. You will really like that 905 with the torroidal power supply.

J

Janik

Audioholic Intern
Even getting a hands on look at the 905 has been an issue for me. In DEC 07 I cut a deal with a local supplier where I paid for an Onkyo 905 and took home a new 875 until it came in. Last night I finally got a call to pick up the 905 and will install today.

About the 875 - WOW! This replaced a Denon 3805 mainly to simplify component switching and take advantage of 7.1 TruHD/HD Master titles through an HDMI connection. Short of the mic included for Audessy setup being inadiquate, I perceived much more audio depth for my 7.1 setup in all audio and AV formats than I ever got out of the 3805.

So, the 905 goes in today and while I'm really looking forward to it there is a lot to live up to even match what the 875 already provides.
Yount01, I'm really interested in your detailed evaluation on your perceived differences between the 875 and 905. You are in a unique position to be able to intimately get to know both, and compare the nuances between the 2 units.
I originally was thinking of the 875, but ended up getting a deal on the 905. To date, I have been very happy with the 905. My only beef to date is not being able to use my old VCR. For some reason, the VHS tapes won't play through the 905. But there's got to be a work-around.

K

klix58

Junior Audioholic
I've had my Onkyo 905 for 4 months now, returned my Denon 4308 and have been happy ever since.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I come to you from the future. A Onkyo 905 with RBH MC series= magic. I haven’t the words. I’m tempted to drag my RBH Reference stuff upstairs to play. This very obnoxiously heavy receiver has the most refined 5.2 sound that I’ve heard in my room, and I have had some really good Yamaha and Denon receivers in here. My MC-6CT pair has never sounded better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis