Onkyo TX Nr807 Switching/Reapeting

L

Luisd

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I just need a link to a thread or review that explain if the Onkyo 807 really will not touch the signal incoming from my blu ray player. Or maybe you could answer my question right here if you want. I searh the entire site and i did not find what i was looking for.

So the question is: If i conect to the onkyo an Oppo bdp 83, it will affect the signal
coming from the oppo or it will just pass like it is?

Thanks in advance.

L

Luisd

Enthusiast
By effect it will pass through, if you have no processing applied.
Ok thanks, because i read in a review on Amazon from some "expert" that it wasnt truly pass through, my decision on the Onkyo was delayed because of that.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Ok thanks, because i read in a review on Amazon from some "expert" that it wasnt truly pass through, my decision on the Onkyo was delayed because of that.
Its true enough not to alter it visually;) No major clipping

L

Luisd

Enthusiast
Its true enough not to alter it visually;) No major clipping
Thats confusing and not releaving but the way you are saying it there is nothing to be concern.

Is there any reciever that does what i want or each one does the same?
Sorry if im bothering you and thanks, for being the only one to reply and answer my questions:)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thats confusing and not releaving but the way you are saying it there is nothing to be concern.

Is there any reciever that does what i want or each one does the same?
Sorry if im bothering you and thanks, for being the only one to reply and answer my questions:)
what gear are you running?

S

Sheik_Yerbutay

Audioholic Intern
Ive been wondering how to set the 807 up as well to do "pass through" on the BDP but upconvert my digital CATV. All I come up with is being able to do all inputs or none for the pass through.

From page 27 in the manual...
"The AV receiver can upconvert and downconvert between video formats, depending on the “Monitor Out” setting, which
generally determines whether video signals are upconverted for the component video output or the HDMI output.
For optimal video performance, THX recommends that video signals pass through the system without upconversion
(e.g., component video input through to component video output).
To by-pass video upconversion in the receiver, simultaneously press the [VCR/DVR] and [RETURN] buttons
on the AV receiver. While continuing to hold down the [VCR/DVR] button, press the [RETURN] button to
toggle until "Skip" appears on the display. Release both buttons.
To use the video upconversion in the receiver, repeat the above process until "Use" appears on the display and
release the buttons."

I seemed to remember reading somewhere that you can define if processing takes place by device. Am I missing something?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
If you have an a half way descent display, let it handle the upconversions not the AVR. You need to spend a few grand for a pre pro or avr that will do a good job. The process embedded into to these units is more marketing than benefit.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hi everyone,

I just need a link to a thread or review that explain if the Onkyo 807 really will not touch the signal incoming from my blu ray player. Or maybe you could answer my question right here if you want. I searh the entire site and i did not find what i was looking for.

So the question is: If i conect to the onkyo an Oppo bdp 83, it will affect the signal
coming from the oppo or it will just pass like it is?

Thanks in advance.
AFAIK, the 805 and 806 pass HDMI untouched, so assuming they didn't change anything, the 807 should be perfectly fine with the Oppo. Where Onkyo had/has issues is with component upconversion.

If you have an a half way descent display, let it handle the upconversions not the AVR. You need to spend a few grand for a pre pro or avr that will do a good job. The process embedded into to these units is more marketing than benefit.
Looks like he's got a Pro 111 in his sig! :D

Hmmm . . . . greatest TV ever made VS midlevel receiver at a fraction of the cost. I wonder which will do better with video. :rolleyes::p

S

Sheik_Yerbutay

Audioholic Intern
AFAIK, the 805 and 806 pass HDMI untouched, so assuming they didn't change anything, the 807 should be perfectly fine with the Oppo. Where Onkyo had/has issues is with component upconversion.

Hmmm . . . . greatest TV ever made VS midlevel receiver at a fraction of the cost. I wonder which will do better with video. :rolleyes::p
Hahaha
Well you have a point :eek: I guess I was thinking the video processors in the 111 werent as good as the newer ones in the AVR

L

Luisd

Enthusiast
what gear are you running?
I recently bought the Kuro PDP 6020 and i already made a decision on the Onkyo 807 and the Oppo so i will buy them on friday. For the speakers im leaning towards BW and the dealer is the only one who will let me bring the speakers home to try them first.

I think it will be:

CM 7 for main and CM centre
LM 1 for the sorrounds(just for now)
The sub will be a Velodyne Optimun 12

Why?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Moses says pass thru and all will be good, and I agree:D

edit: btw upgrade that sub:p (when you can) for 799 the EPIK Empire is still a sweet deal

S

Sheik_Yerbutay

Audioholic Intern

So I have the 1080i digital cable through-putting without conversion from the receiver and the TV is showing a 1080i signal at the top of the screen. Shouldnt the tv upconvert to 1080p per your suggestion?

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
So I have the 1080i digital cable through-putting without conversion from the receiver and the TV is showing a 1080i signal at the top of the screen. Shouldnt the tv upconvert to 1080p per your suggestion?
The TV will show the format of the incoming signal. If your TV has a native resolution of 1080p then it will indeed deinterlace the 1080i signal to 1080p.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis