Onkyo TX-NR 801 vs. Denon 3805 vs Yamaha RX-V2500

M

MitchHannah

Audiophyte
Which is the best choice?
Right now I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR 100.
Looking to upgrade to a 7.1 system.
The Net-Tunes capability on the Onkyo really caught my eye, but the Yamaha appears to have more inputs and more speaker outs. I have quite a few devices. 2 VCRS,DVD,Tape,CD Jukebox,LD,Phono & Minidisk.
Any response would be welcome.

Mitch Hannah

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I looked at the same choices at Christmas and went with the Yamaha. It seemed to do a better job on movies than the Denon.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
I own an Integra DTR 7.4 (basically an Onkyo 801), Since the Onkyo can be bought for less than $600 on clearance at www.onecall.com; I'd say it's the best bang for your buck. However, If you ever have a problem with it, Onkyo customer service is very painful to deal with. It took me 4 months to get a replacement receiver from them.

With that said, if all the receivers are at the same price (1k), I'd let your ears and your system decided. For me that choice would now be Yamaha, for you it might be Denon or Onkyo.

Last edited by a moderator:
crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Just my $0.02, but I'd go with the Denon or the Yamaha. I have owned both, and liked them both. My Denon was a 3802.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I had the same decision to make as Leprkon and picked the Denon (mostly for the music). Go listen to them all and decide-although I don't think you'll be disappointed w/ either the 3805 or the 2500 qualitywise.

Bryan...gotta listen to Onkyo one of these days...

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Which remote do you like the best?

Remember, the dreaded remote is your interface with the receiver (one of the reasons I went with the Denon 2805 versus the 3805) ?

Which front panel display do you like the most. I believe all of these units are using the blue/white LED, but maybe you don't like that color, of find the color too bright (the Denon has a dimmer switch that I like, don't know if the others has that same feature)?

Which front panel switches, rear panel connections, speaker connections, etc do you like the best?

At this price range ergonomics is sometimes the greatest factor in the purchasing decision.

Bottom line, all three a good pieces of equipment.

M

MitchHannah

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your input.
I've narrowed it to the Yamaha or the Denon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis