Onkyo TS-SR605 Vs. Yamaha RX-V661

B

bilgirami

Junior Audioholic
am planning on upgrading from my Yamaha HTR-5740. I am currently looking to either go for ONKYO TX-SR605 or Yamaha RX-V 661'. I am wondering if someone could help me pick better of the two. Onkyo has TRUE HD DTS and TRUE Dolby HD while RX-V661 does not, but Yamaha has its signature DSPs. While I like Yamaha better, this one feature of Onkyo (True HD sound) is making me lean in that direction. Can someone help me with it.

Thanks
bilgirami

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. The RX-V663 has a much better amplifier as well. The RX-V661's bench test results are better than the TX-SR605 and the RX-V663 has a chunkier amplifier in it than the RX-V661. It's a no brainer, wait a couple months and get the real winner.:D

K

koebner

Enthusiast
Your BluRay or HD DVD player will decode the True HD audio and send it to the Yamaha as MPCM which the Yamaha does process and output.This is the same quality sound as the bitstream from the player,which would be used if the the receiver did the decoding.
There is no proof that the 663 has a better amp than the 661 other than that it is rated 5 watts per channel more.Manufacturers' wattage ratings are very subjective as well.
Bench testing has proven very little difference between the Onkyo and the Yamaha,but anecdotally there have been a lot of bugs with the Onkyo,from pops and clicking to HDMI issues and extreme heat created by the unit.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Regardless of whether or not the Yamaha 663 has a better amp than the 661, and I do believe it does, the 663 would still be a better choice than the Onkyo 605.

I'd wait for the release of the RX-V663.

Another thing Yamaha has always had over Onkyo in this price range are analog pre-outs.

I'll admit the Yamahas are ugly, but that would be their only con.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
One more vote for holding out for the RX-V663...

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Another vote for the 663. I thought they were scheduled to ship in March...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think the Yamahas are ugly, I do think the TX-SR605 is though.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Really? I considered the RX-V861. I went with the 1800, primarily for cosmetics.
The RX-V1800 is very sharp looking. I just think the Onkyo TX-SR605 looks cheasy. The TX-SR805 looks pretty good too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis