Onkyo LSV950 5.1 surround problem

Y

yanksno1

Audiophyte
Was hoping there were some Onkyo LSV950 owners (or anybody else) that could help me out with my little problem I'm having. Basically, my reciever seems to be stuck in Stereo mode and sound is only playing out of the front R & L speakers (not the center or rears). I've had this problem before and have found the way to get it out of Stereo mode, but I can't remember how to do it now. I'm really at a loss, it's not as easy as pressing the Surround button on the remote and unit. When I do, it says SP-B On. I remember to get the 5.1 surround sound the Stereo label has to be off, which it isn't. Any body have an idea of how to solve this problem? Thanks. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

G

geo75

Audioholic Intern
I have a couple of ideas.

1. If it has had a power loss recently the receiver could have reset to factory presets. Go into the setup menu and make sure the Center, Surrounds, & Sub are all on.

2. If you moved the receiver lately possibly the speaker wires got plugged into the wrong hole. BIL had the problem for 5 months one time. Bad part is his system was so bad he actually couldn't tell the difference, until I pointed it out to him.

Hope one of these works.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
When I do, it says SP-B On

Do you have speakers attached to the B terminals? If you do and the receiver is set to speaker B, you can only get stereo from those two speakers.

You need to have the front speakers connected to the A terminals and center and surrounds connected to their respective terminals. Then use the remote to change the speaker selection to speaker A. Assuming you are playing a multi-channel disc or at least engaged a matrxi mode like PLII, you will then get sound out of all the speakers.

Y

yanksno1

Audiophyte
Thank for the help guys. When I had this problem before I was just pressing buttons to try to fix it and eventually it'd be fixed. I could never remember which ones I was pressing at the time to remember how to fix it, I was just happy I did. Well I finally figured out how to turn it off Stereo mode. I had to hit the A+B & Surround buttons at the same time and then it works. The things really a pain in the *** and the manual doesn't help too much. Thanks for the help anyways, really appreciate it. :)

Y

yanksno1

Audiophyte
Got another question for you guys. I bought this speaker wire and when I ran it I definitely notice a difference between this and my stock speaker wire. This speaker wire is considerably lower and can hardly hear any sound coming from my rear speakers. I do hear sound, but it's really low. It sounded much better from my stock speaker wire, unfortunetly that was too short for my living room. Any idea why? Do I need a different type of speaker wire?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The speaker wire is not your problem. Other than the fact that you paid a huge premium for the wire because it says 'Monster' on it, it is just fine.

Whether you get sound (and how much) in the surround speakers is dependent on the mix on whatever disc you are playing. If the disc does make substantial use of the surround channels, but it is low, then the problem lies in how you have it configured. You need to calibrate all channels using the internal test tones and an SPL meter or by using a calibration disc like AVIA or DVE.

Y

yanksno1

Audiophyte
I realized I overpaid for the wire, but I thought I needed it at the time so I went ahead and bought it. Found out the problem was the volume on my surround speakers needed to be turned up. One question though. Why with the stock wire would it need no volume turned up, but with this wire it needed to be turned up? Thanks. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis