One more time, with feeling.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hi all. I know you've been through this before, but updates/upgrades have occurred, and....it's probably time again to heat up the forum. (Plus I can't find all the collective wisdom here without going through every old post.) I've made some blunders in speaker purchase that I intend to correct...starting with my subwoofers. Luckily I have some disposable cash on hand. Below is my semi-newby question. Thanks in advance for your opinions/info/assistance.

I wanna spend 600 bucks on a sub. (I'm GONNA spend $600 on a sub.) Based upon all that I've seen here, my choices run to the 'bang-for-buck' line of Hsu or SVS. (Correct me here too, if I'm wrong, please.) My system is used for 80% HT and 20% music. The subs listed below fit my room requirements. (I currently have an Hsu STF-1 and a JBL S120Pll. I will either keep or sell these based on the sound of the soon to be purchased [with your help] sub.) These are the items at the price point:

Hsu - STF-3
SVS - PB12-ISD
SVS - PCi 20-39

It seems to me that the SVS subs are the champs at both spl and frequency extension...but being a newbie, I'm not entirely certain. I know not the subleties of the benefits of the cylindrical PCi 20-39...so please help me there, especially. You guys have been great sharing your time and information with all of us trying to better our systems. Many thanks, again.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
A cylinder will produce much more efficient bass than a box. There is less reverberation in a cylinder. Go with the cylinder over the box - much much more bang for your buck.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
A cylinder will produce much more efficient bass than a box. There is less reverberation in a cylinder. Go with the cylinder over the box - much much more bang for your buck.
Of course then there is Hsu has decided to discontinue their cylinder subs with the new HO series as the new patent pending ports play as clean as a cylinder sub.

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
I was under the impression that they were brining the cylinders back.

Anyways, to the OP.....when you find the sub that's right for you, i can take that STF-1 off your hands ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis