One more sacd question

P

Pixturnal

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help so far everyone. I wanted to make sure I understand correctly before i go to the store. If I get a preamp to connect the outputs on the universal player, the preamp outputs are then two channel to connect to my ht receiver? And I then will get the sacd enhanced sound?

B

BGLeduc

Junior Audioholic
Why do you need a pre-amp between the SACD player and the receiver?

You would normally go straight in to the AVR with either a stereo pair, or a 5.1 analog connection.

Brian

P

Pixturnal

Enthusiast
BGLeduc said:
Why do you need a pre-amp between the SACD player and the receiver?

Brian
My receiver doesn't have the 5.1 jacks and the whole reason i want to listen to sacd is for the surround sound. ;)

Attachments

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Pixturnal said:
My receiver doesn't have the 5.1 jacks and the whole reason i want to listen to sacd is for the surround sound. ;)

SACD has surround sound now? Is that an older receiver?
Cannot see all the connections. You will need a receiver with 5 channel analog in from DVD-A and SACD to make it work. Digital will not pass it.
If you get a new preamp that has the 5 channel inputs, you will still nee 5 channels of amplifications from somewhere.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Imho

Pixturnal said:
The whole point of listening to SACD over regular CD is higher resolution...and it takes some pretty nice gear throughout the entire process of reproduction (your system) in order to realize these benefits. The main propose of having 5.1 channels of discrete information on a SACD is so that a more realistic sound stage can be reproduced or in the case of a live performance the recreation of the unique acoustical environment in which the recording was made. In the bigger scheme of things these are nuances that really begin to show themselves only in higher-end, well implemented systems even then these benefits are often subtle.

So what am I getting at? Well it means that you might be expecting too much from SACD and your current system. My advice for you is to just use the Doby Prologic decoder in your receiver to take any 2ch audio and make it surround sound. If you find that you really enjoy this type of listening then it may be time to consider some equipment upgrades that are capable of realizing the benefits of higher resolution recordings.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can send the stereo analog signal, including that of SACD, to ANY stereo analog input. It does not have to be part of a multichannel input, though of course that means you will not have the ability to listen to the multichannel tracks on any SACDs that have them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis