One last Sub question..

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
In my last post I asked about the HSU ULS15 vs the REL. A lot of feedback was given and it leans towards the ULS.
With that said, I had completely forgotten about one product. The Rythmik F15 HP.. Its a little more expensive, but in my budget
Any opinion on which you would think would be better performer in a 2.1 Audio only system?
Thanks

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm, both have 15" driver and a 600 watt amp in a roughly 18" cubed, sealed enclosure (the Rythmik is slightly larger and heavier). I would imagine the performance is extremely close and comes down to a few features and brand recognition. Personally, I would save the $500 and go with the Hsu.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks. It's as if it comes down to price and if you want Servo Tech. I have owned both types before. A Martin Logon Grotto and of course my current Outlaw being standard.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hard decision. :)

If there’s any chance of dual subs in your future, it’s a lot cheaper to do dual HSUs.

Good luck! :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
There could be. However this room is not that large and floor space is a problem. I’d like duals. I alway hear it’s the way to go.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
You know what also bugs me. These SVS ads all over the place keeps making me look at them too. I wasn’t so happy with an older lower end model in my set up. Just sounded muddy to me. Been looking at the 3000 and 4000 series.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In my last post I asked about the HSU ULS15 vs the REL. A lot of feedback was given and it leans towards the ULS.
With that said, I had completely forgotten about one product. The Rythmik F15 HP.. Its a little more expensive, but in my budget
Any opinion on which you would think would be better performer in a 2.1 Audio only system?
Thanks
You might ask Jman. I know after comparing the SVS SB13 Ultra vs the Rythmik E15HP, he chose the E15HP for his own sub! Here is that comparison:

The E15HP is pretty much an F15HP that forfeits a dB or two of output in order to be a bit more compact. I don't know, but I would be surprised if Jman did not review the ULS15!
Jman is not in a large room, so he felt the smaller E15HP was a better option for him!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the advantages of Rythmik's servo technology only come into play at high excursions where the driver starts to lose linearity. The problem is that is where it is starting to run into the driver's Xmax, and past that nothing can rescue it from nonlinear distortion except less amplification. The vast majority of the life of the driver's excursion will be spent well under these types of limits, especially if your only playing music content. For that use, I think that any of these subs will have similar performance. What will play a far greater role in the sound of the sub is where you place it.

A multiple sub system will do a lot more to improve the sound here than a single sub solution in this regard. If you want a better sound than any one of this subs can give you for the same price consider two less expensive subs that have good fundamental performance. Maybe look at a couple Monolith 10" sealed subs from Monoprice. A couple PB-1000s or VTF-2 mk5s will do a lot to flatten out the response. If space is a concern, consider a couple MartinLogan Dynamo 600x subs, a great sub for its size, and take a look at its maximum THD: it can't really be pushed much past 10%THD at all in any frequency:

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks ShadyJ... That makes a lot of sense. And probably something I need to consider a lot more before I pull the trigger.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis