ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Hey all;

I recently had wall mounts made up for my surround left and right speakers then I got to thinking ...

I know the popular consensus is to place your left and right surrounds one to two feet above listening position and one to two feet behind listening position. (with the speakers being direct radiating, not *ipolar.)

So given your choices which would it be?

I ended up going with the base of the speakers 1 foot behind and one foot above, illustrated in my marvellous MS Paint drawing below.

So when you guys install yours, do you go a foot from the bottom of the speaker as I have done, or a foot from the tweeter, or actual driver or what?

PS: don't be stealing this image to sell it. I know its worth millions but... :D

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Dude, you got a jacked-up looking right hand.

Shinerman,

Enjoying a few right now!

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Ha ha ha ha that's all you have to say is that my hand is all messed up?

Thanks I think LOL ;)

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Zee drawing, eet ees zee work of GENIUS!!

(I hope someone answers your question. No clue here! Is there anything in the Audioholics articles that might help?)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
God that picture is hillarious :) Seems like the guy in the pic is happy with the speaker placement :)

For monopoles or direct radiators, you want to get them as far away from your head as possible so the sound will not be localizable. Problem is if you are also using this configuration for multichannel audio, your screwed. It seems like you are way to close to your rear speakers.

I personally have my monopole surrounds about 4 feet behind me and 3 feet above my head and pointed towards the front of the room. I recommend experimentation to see what works best for both situations.

You may also wish to peruse our THX Interview Article for more placement tips.

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Heh heh If anyone wants to hire for me for some work to draw pictures I am sure we can work out a deal! :D

Seriously though, thanks for your help Gene.

Could you perhaps explain what you meant by this statement below?

"Problem is if you are also using this configuration for multichannel audio, your screwed. It seems like you are way to close to your rear speakers."

Do you mean for multichannel audio like music, or for a 5.1 soundtrack on a movie?

If you locate your speakers far away like yours or so off axis, how can you discern that there actually is sound coming from them? would you hear anything at all or would it be drowned out from the front speakers?

I will read that page, thanks!

Rob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis