Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
I have 4 klipsch 12 inch subs (R-112) that are just a few years old. I use a Denon 5200 receiver to herd them along. All of my system has been calibrated with Audyssey plus an eq gizmo.Each sub is located in each corner of course but, my right front and the left rear will shut off before I power down things. It does this with different media so it can’t be a source priority. I can un plug them and plug them right back in and they work fine with the little light glowing. Then after a several minutes (like an hour) they shut off. I am using the passive power setting on the back of the sub. So opposite corner subs work but these mentioned shut down before I shut down the hole setup. Obviously each sub has its own amp and is getting pre-amp info from the denon. Why does one side run till I power off and yet the other powers off when it wants?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Describe your connection between avr's sub pre-out(s) and your eq device and the particular subs in more detail might help.

Does it shut off in the middle of sufficient content? These turn on and off with an auto start type feature? What is a passive power setting?

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Actually the eq is done by Audyessy, not the dsp. The denon has two outputs for two subs. I think, (can’t look right now) that they are on a splitter, ergo; two subs into one output for front subs, two subs on the other output for rear subs. Yes, I’ve set the auto-on switch on which works on two subs, but not the other two. Even with 5.1 content those other two won’t auto-trigger on. I can plug/unplug as stated before w/o issue till they turn off as if they are still triggered. It always used to trigger all 4 “on” at once.

I don’t think the subs are at default...perhaps the output on the denon is sketchy. Tomorrow I may swap cables between the two and see if it isolates the output issue in the opposite direction. Open to any and all feedback.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what's the eq gizmo you mentioned? Even if the eq gizmo is used on the subs sometimes Audyssey is still run after that for integration. Was more curious about the connections any ways so sounds like a good plan to start changing connections and see if the fault follows a change. Since there's a front and rear sub each misbehaving it sounds like the pre-outs are working rather than not. If the fault was just the rear or fronts then the pre-out could be questionable. Did you ever try a higher sub trim level to trigger the auto on better? Sometimes they just crap out, tho.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
I’ll have to dig a bit but can sort front/rear pre-out vs my left/right choices (two pre’s split into front and rear). The Minidsp is not in the equation so sorry I put that in there. So, first I’ll swap connections , then try the trim. They are turned way, way down due to the small-ish room. Thanks for the ideas. Stay tuned.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
It’s not the subs. They all turn on just fine. It might be the auto trigger sensor. I can bypass the auto switch and turn them to “on”. Works fine therefore it can’t be the output form the preamp, cable, or sub power. I could probably turn the trim up on each and then make an override adjustment in the preamp. Problem is I’ve set all levels for audessey and the DSP. I think I’ll just leave them (subs) on all the time and not worry about it. All symptoms point to weak sensors. Meh. What ya gunna do?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis