OLED TV as center channel

E

Eagle2675

Audiophyte
I have purchased a Sony a9g tv and Sony 1080 receiver. I have a 5.1 channel sound system. Has anyone used this TV as a center channel? If so has their been any issues with this setup.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't recommend it if you already have a decent 5.1 system.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I have purchased a Sony a9g tv and Sony 1080 receiver. I have a 5.1 channel sound system. Has anyone used this TV as a center channel? If so has their been any issues with this setup.
Try it. It has the speaker inputs to do it. From a few reviews I've read it seems to be pretty decent at it within reason.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No. There is frequently audio delay for the display and that can vary depending on the source, so it really isn't a good idea even if you adjust the synch.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

I would ask why would you do this?

A good 5.1 system will almost always have timbre matching speakers across the Left, Center, Right channels. It's not likely your TV speakers are going to be a timbre match for your left and right so you're probably better off just going with a phantom center as post #3 has suggested.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Imo you are better with stereo pair than trying to use TV as center if you dont have separate center speaker. TV speakers are not so great and are often in back of the TV so they wont sound right compared to your other speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My TV speakers are pretty good. Still not as good as any decent center channel. I don't like phantom center and that is still a better idea.

Anyway, how would you even do it? You'd need to send dedicated signal to the TV and have it play as if it were a speaker separate from the video signal, so actually setting it up to work like a true center already presents challenges.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I would say that this model might work better than most as it's obviously set up for it, but there's still the issue of timbre matching and I'd also wonder about the tv speakers' ability to keep up with the rest of the system at higher volumes and sharp peaks.
True the only way to timbre match is to have the front 3 the same. The tv speakers probably can’t handle a lot of wattage. But for a potential buyer that just has a 2.1 or no speakers at all a 3.1 is then more achievable with less money. This is the first time I’ve heard of a Tv having speaker terminals. Would I use it probably not but I would be to curious not to try it I think it’s cool. Nice touch Sony

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
True the only way to timbre match is to have the front 3 the same. The tv speakers probably can’t handle a lot of wattage. But for a potential buyer that just has a 2.1 or no speakers at all a 3.1 is then more achievable with less money. This is the first time I’ve heard of a Tv having speaker terminals. Would I use it probably not but I would be to curious not to try it I think it’s cool. Nice touch Sony
But OP says they already have a 5.1 system.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Or use 3 identical TVs like at a sports bar for football games? LOL :)

Honestly I would avoid the TV as a speaker and look at other options. :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
My TV speakers are pretty good. Still not as good as any decent center channel. I don't like phantom center and that is still a better idea.

Anyway, how would you even do it? You'd need to send dedicated signal to the TV and have it play as if it were a speaker separate from the video signal, so actually setting it up to work like a true center already presents challenges.
It might add some ambient sounds but it’s hardly going to replace it be a center channel. I think it’s a lot of effort and cables needed for no reward ! Haha good luck I suggested getting a real center .

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis