OLED currently cheaper to make than Mini-LED

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mini LCD.... the tech being LCD not just the way it's lit....whereas OLED is actually different. FWIW

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I get what they are trying to do by increasing the number of zones used with LED backlit LCD televisions, but in reality, it doesn't solve the problem of the LCD television at all. Mini-LED vs. Micro-LED, of course, are two very different technologies, and micro-LED is where the gold is at if they are able to get it into production. My believe is that may be as much as a full decade away.

Instead, it would be nice to get more focus, for the next few years, on higher brightness OLED. Sony is bumping things up this year with their outrageously expensive top of the line models. I was like... "Hey! A 83" OLED panel from Sony. Sweet!" - Then I saw the MSRP and got back into my Corolla and drove away.

It doesn't surprise me that putting thousands of LEDs and controlling them individually and all the rest of the work is pricey up front on these models. They will be bright and they will be the best that we've seen from LCD televisions I expect, but they won't be as good as OLED in terms of black levels and pure image performance. But, bright as heck and best yet. So, there is something there. Pricing, as always, will fall.

OLED currently owns the tier that plasma once inhabited. Hopefully we won't see it go away due to price issues. I am pretty determined to get a 48" model to replace my monitors on my desk when budget allows.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis