Older Speakers, Newer Center??

E

Effinexpletive

Audiophyte
I have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX6 (floorstanding speakers). I'm ready to add a center to my system and learned that they discontinued the Bronze BX series in 2015 in favor of the current Bronze Series, which seems to have benefited from trickle down tech from the Silver line.

Here's my question: Do I go for the new and probably improved Bronze center channel, or hunt down a used center that was made for the Bronze BX series? Am I likely to be able to discern the difference? As specs go, the only notable difference my audiophyte eyes can see is the crossover frequency: it's moved from 3.2kHz to 3.0.

Thanks in advance

E

Effinexpletive

Audiophyte
Thanks for the swift reply? Any rule on this I should know about to keep in mind for the future? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is considering buying speakers from a refreshed line but I couldn't find any info readily available in the forum.

Thanks again!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the swift reply? Any rule on this I should know about to keep in mind for the future? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is considering buying speakers from a refreshed line but I couldn't find any info readily available in the forum.

Thanks again!
Generally speaking, speakers from the same line but refreshed are a better option IMO for a few reasons. Speaker companies, over time, will usually trickle down some of their higher end technologies as they become cheaper to produce or as they find cheap ways to reproduce them so you’ll get some better performance. As long as the main designer is still kicking around or if they have a “sound” they’ll usually stick with that so the new speakers will still be voiced similarly. Then you have all the other stuff with buying new like warranties, knowing for sure that they haven’t been abused etc etc.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I see a lot of KEF pre-2017 Q series owners now using the 2017 Q650 center speaker without complaint. Quite the opposite actually, they rave about it and ponder upgrading the mains to the new series.

Can O' Worms...in a good way.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
to what fuzz said on this, tonality is usually the concern with matching L-C-R speakers.

E

Effinexpletive

Audiophyte
This makes good sense. Please feel free to continue sharing, but I'll follow your advice and trust that the bronze center will match my somewhat older bronze bx6s just fine. Thank you again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis