Older Pioneer Elite - is it worth it?

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
One of my neighbors is offering to sell me a Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV receiver fairly cheap (likely less than $100) in working condition. I'll be using it for my home office so I don't necessarily need Atmos, etc...but would at least like to setup surround in that room. Do you think it's worth it? If so, how much should I offer?

Thanks in advance!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Sound will not be an issue for your purposes, but video may be.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 8.37.22 AM.png

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
If you are looking for HD picture quality and music, you might want to offer $75 and see what he says. It is a 2006 model with not so modern circuitry and components. If it works and fits your pocketbook, then give it a go.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Some of those older receivers were great. Look up some older reviews on the model on google and even youtube. I'm using an older Denon from around 2003 for 2.1 desktop system and it's killer, and has been used nearly every day since 2017. I actually bought a second one exactly the same.

Also, if this is going to be used in a computer system, try starting out with 2.1 near field. I watch movies occasionally and it's wonderfully immersive set up as such and surround sound from there in that configuration would be rather redundant, or perhaps even too much. For music, I would not trade it for anything else, so at the very least, it is good for a strong music system if that particular model was of any merit back in the day.

J

JorisU

Audiophyte
Some of those older receivers were great. Look up some older reviews on the model on google and even youtube. I'm using an older Denon from around 2003 for 2.1 desktop system and it's killer, and has been used nearly every day since 2017. I actually bought a second one exactly the same.

Also, if this is going to be used in a computer system, try starting out with 2.1 near field. I watch movies occasionally and play here it's wonderfully immersive set up as such and surround sound from there in that configuration would be rather redundant, or perhaps even too much. For music, I would not trade it for anything else, so at the very least, it is good for a strong music system if that particular model was of any merit back in the day.
I'm a fan of the older Denon models too. My 2005 system still works flawlessly.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
One of my neighbors is offering to sell me a Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV receiver fairly cheap (likely less than $100) in working condition. I'll be using it for my home office so I don't necessarily need Atmos, etc...but would at least like to setup surround in that room. Do you think it's worth it? If so, how much should I offer?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah worth it did you get it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis