Old School Setup...

B

Bonehollow

Audiophyte
Ok I am not to educated in home audio equipment so my question is pretty generic so I can get some basic info.

All I want is two tower speakers that are loud. Ill be listening to music 90% of the time the other 10% for movies. I listen to metal and rock so they would have to have a good range, as I am sure all music has; but I need to be able to hear those old school guitar squeals. I would later like to add a center channel, but start with the towers. So in a nuttshell no surround sound garbage, I am tone deaf and any noise comming other then from the front is a waste of space and sound. Looking to spend around 500-800. Thanks

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
WOW! Cerwin Wega: Definite Ol' School! I remember the pair in the basement of our frat house in college. Now those definitely took a licking.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
3x10^8 said:
WOW! Cerwin Wega: Definite Ol' School! I remember the pair in the basement of our frat house in college. Now those definitely took a licking.
Most reliable speaker I have ever owned. I have a pair I purchased new in '85. They work great to this day.

B

Bonehollow

Audiophyte
What receiver/seperates are you using?
Yeah I am not sure honostly and really dont know to much about home audio to even know where to begin. I am in Korea and at our BX (military wallmart) they have a Kenwood 300watt power amp for 175$ (was a return with no box but it has a 90 day return warrenty) and was thinking about picking that up. But for receiver I dont know, does it make a difference? My price range is around 800$ for a total setup. Now mind you thats just two tower speakers and the reciever/amp ect... I was even looking at just getting a PA but dont know if those even come close to the sound quality that some of the home audio equipment can get. I do like loud music but I also like a quality sound. Long term I would probably add some rear speakers just so I have sound blasting at me from all angles. I hope this helps.. Thanks for all the product advice!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't spend any money on an amp. One of the receivers below will have plenty of power to drive any speaker in your budget. The BX will order different products for you, correct?

See if you can find a HK 3380/3480 for a receiver. Either one has plenty of power. http://www.harmankardon.com/series.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&Ser=STR&cat=REC&sType=C

Then, see if you can find some Cerwins. Might be hard to do there, but you will get the biggest bang for your budget with HK and Cerwin. http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/homeaudiovideo/index.html

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
Bonehollow said:
I am in Korea and at our BX (military wallmart) they have a Kenwood 300watt power amp for 175$
a little off topic but where in korea are you? i get there next thursday but dont have a pinpoint yet...

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
gellor said:
FYI, I found some bad reviews of hometheaterbythesea...claiming that they were reselling used equipment as new.
Got a link?
Good thing I said to go with HK and CV.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis