Okay... What are some good headphones?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Budget: Sub $150.00 NOT OVER THAT!!! (thanks)

I have been looking at Sonnheiser HD-555 model, but have not had any experience with ANY headphones really.

I am really leaning toward hard-wired, but want wireless. I have installed wireless headphones before which all had horid reception. It steers me away from them, but I am interested in wireless if there are a couple that users have had really good luck with.

I listen to 99.9% movies/video. Almost no music at all and these are for after my 10 month old is in bed. I am not that particular about getting perfection, but want good quality that will make me happy with perfect reliability and ease of use.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
There was a thread about this just recently. I use Sony MDR-V6 and am happy. They are under $100 (paid $80). I think it was WMax that said they are very similar (or at least use some of the same parts) as the higher end MDR-V600.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I started a nifty thread which can be found here. After the discussion, I came to the conclusion that the Sony MDR-7506 is the headphone to get, and it costs a reasonable 100 bucks (or less). Plus, this is the headphone that John Dunlavy used to determine whether or not his speakers were accurate (well, not the only thing, but was a part). If that name means anything to you, then you'll understand why the 7506s look damn good.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Anonymous said:
There was a thread about this just recently. I use Sony MDR-V6 and am happy. They are under $100 (paid $80). I think it was WMax that said they are very similar (or at least use some of the same parts) as the higher end MDR-V600.
The MDR-V6 is the same and uses the same parts(except for the plug and the name embossed on the metal covers) as the MDR-7506.

The MDR-V600 does not share any parts with the MDR-V6 and is not 'higher-end' if you mean that by sound quality. The MDR-V600, is however, more expensive but it is vastly inferior(I don't make such claims often, but I feel it is an exceptinoally terrible product for the price that I can not suggest to anyone) by a large degree in both sound and construction quality.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
BMXTRIX said:

I have been looking at Sonnheiser HD-555 model, but have not had any experience with ANY headphones really.

I am really leaning toward hard-wired, but want wireless. I have installed wireless headphones before which all had horid reception. It steers me away from them, but I am interested in wireless if there are a couple that users have had really good luck with.

I listen to 99.9% movies/video. Almost no music at all and these are for after my 10 month old is in bed. I am not that particular about getting perfection, but want good quality that will make me happy with perfect reliability and ease of use.
The Sony MDR-V6(NOT MDR-V600) or the Sony MDR-7506 are superb for movies due to the low frequency response and clarity/resolution for voices due to the overall tonal accuracy. However, if you have large ears the pads may irratate and cause some discomfort after prolonged periods. If comfort is of prime concern, the Sony MDR-F1 is probably the most comfortable headphone available. However, it is open and has no isolation. It also is priced slightly above your stated budget. But a consolidation is it's pure alloy/metal construction which makes it *appear* to be a a much more expensive headphone cosmetically when compared to others in it's price class by cosmetics alone.

-Chris

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I own a pair of Sony MDR-V600s. I use them for moble mixing gigs. They have bloated bass like nobodies business and a midrange that isn't capable of providing the punch. I much prefer my Beyerdynamic DT831s. Some people rag on the 831s because of "lack of bass" but I find the bass perfect for what they are: it's tight and not bloated. They are the best sounding SEALED headphones I have found in that pricerange. Personal preferance though. If you need more bass out of them you simple up the bass knob on your amp or mixer. When I up the bass from the mixer they will outplay the Sony's in low end and do it WELL instead of like junk. So, in short, I agree about the V600 comment. But I don't like the V6s either. Go for the 700s.

-Chad

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
cbraver said:
So, in short, I agree about the V600 comment. But I don't like the V6s either. Go for the 700s.

-Chad
I don't particularly like the MDR-V6(MDR-7506) for general listening, but it I still find it to be extraordinarly accurate when I compare, monitoring live sound using linear measurement microphones(very flat response) and standing at the same distance as the microphones, comparing the feed to the live sound source(s).

Here is the link to John Dunlavy's experiment, of which I based my experiment and found it to be repeatable:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Dunlavy+Audio+Labs+7506&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=6mts8f$507@jamesv.warren.mentorg.com&rnum=4

-Chris

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the clarification WmAx - MDR-V6 is roughly the same as the MDR-7506. Got it. I'm not a big user of headphones so I don't require much and the V6 is good enough for me.

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Some old classic workhorses that I really like in that price range are the open Grado SR60s (punchy, lively and bright and $70) and the open Senn HD580s ("laid back" due to a mild mid-bass hump and slightly rolled-off highs and $150).

I think the newer open Senn HD555s you spoke of are definitely worth a look too and hit a nice middle ground.

MDR-V6s are a classic monitoring phone, a very nice, detailed, subjectively aggressive (bright and plentiful solid low bass) closed phone in that price range. If you have tone controls it can help to turn the treble down a little with the V6s.

Off the beaten path I also like the open Sony MDR-CD580 (maybe $50 and a little bright) and open MDR-CD780 (maybe $90 and also bright but a little more mellow than the CD580), but I seem to be fairly alone in my preference for these two very unusual Sony phones. But I got my CD580s for $40 and my CD780s for $30 (both refurbished) so that probably colors my perception toward the positive side.

My headphone habit escalated with the birth of my first son (he's 4 now and I have another to boot). It's definitely been very interesting learning more about the headphone scene.

If I were going for one phone for pleasure listening to start with and I didn't need isolation I'd probably pick the Senn HD555 or the Grado SR60, but it's a very subjective call, it's truly a matter of personal preference.

These are all wired headphones.

When I do my hardcore hifi headphone listening, I use a Behringer DEQ2496 digital equalizer (about $300!) -- with that thing, the sky is the limit as far as headphone sound quality and tailoring the sound to your personal preferences. And it is one fascinating piece of gear. So the basic sound of my headphones is not really a limiting factor for me personally. The Senn HD580s seem to be relatively low in resonances so that they respond very well to EQ.

Oops! That takes you way over budget, and it's more than you wanted to know, I'm sure!

BMXTRIX said:

I am really leaning toward hard-wired, but want wireless.

Last edited:
C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I agree. I generally find for the same money an open headphone more my tastes for musical listening. I own closed-headphones because I mix with them sometimes with very loud monitors pointing outward. If your environment allows for it, try some open 'phones!

-Chad

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
If you are interested in used.... check out Stax. There is nothing currently available from Stax in your budget range, but the used market should have units within your budget.

Would just need new ear cups, and you would have the finest headphones ever made.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
sjdgpt said:
If you are interested in used.... check out Stax. There is nothing currently available from Stax in your budget range, but the used market should have units within your budget.

Would just need new ear cups, and you would have the finest headphones ever made.
Finest headphone? 1. Stax has manufactured and has several models available. Which 'one' is the finest? 2. It's entirely one's opinion as to which brand/model is the 'finest'. Some might claim the Stax Omega II is the finest or the Sony MDR-R10 or the Sennheiser Orpheus, Sennheiser HD650, etc. So you find Stax to be the best....well so do I(Omega II) but that's beside the point and is based on only my subjective impressions..... Hehe.

-Chris

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How loud are open headphones. I really hadn't thought much about the idea of the HD-555 being open. I guess looking at that site there is noise emitted from the headphones in an open design.

How loud are they externally with an open design?

I have no use for them as airline or noise cancelling units. I just need them so I can do some tv/movie watching after the kid is asleep or more often in the AM when wife and kid are still asleep so I don't disturb them.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I have a buddy with the HD-595s. If you're sitting next to the person, you can hear what's going on, but it's not like you'll be disturbing someone in the other room.

C

cstanley

Enthusiast
even the old-school AKG K240's are really good sounding,
non-fatiguing, and are comfortable. you do need a strong
amp to drive them, but they are very nice, and you can
probably find them cheap used... i hear really good
things about hte grados', but some folks find them uncomfortable...

i used to have a bunch of the sony 7506/v6's for studio use (musicians
using them recording), they can get pretty loud, but i always
thought they had a hyped high end. one bad thing about them
is if the cables ever break it is almost impossible to solder
them back together.

if i had alot of $$ to spend on a headphone setup i'd get either
the benchmark DAC1 DA/headphone amp
(http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digital/dac1/default.asp)
or the Grace DA/headphone amp
(http://www.gracedesign.com/products/901/model901.htm)
and go with a pair of sennheiser 650's...

as always the best judge is to go down & listen... the
Sennheiser HD555 is right at your price range ($150).

-carl

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis