OK to set speaker on the sub?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don't see why it wouldn't be and this may be a stupid question. :eek:

As you can see in THIS picture my speakers are not at the same level. Also, the left is on an enclosed shelf. It doesn't affect the Advent in their now too badly as it has no port. However, I'm planning on building a set of Ascendant Audio Arbiter TM's in which I will use a port. I would like to kill two birds with one stone and place the left speaker in a better position (ear level) and keep it out of an enclosed shelf.

The easiest way to do this would be to set it on top of the subwoofer, which is roughly the same height as the table the right speaker is sitting on. Am I thinking too hard here or is there no problem in doing this?

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Don't place your bookshelf speakers inside a bookshelf. You should place bookshelf speakers on independent stands away from walls or other boundaries.

Most subwoofers have detectable vibrations. I know there are speaker designs where the bookshelf sits on top of a sub. But I don't know about you, I am concerned of how those vibrations can affect the bookshelves physically as well as sonically.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
furrycute said:
Don't place your bookshelf speakers inside a bookshelf. You should place bookshelf speakers on independent stands away from walls or other boundaries.

Most subwoofers have detectable vibrations. I know there are speaker designs where the bookshelf sits on top of a sub. But I don't know about you, I am concerned of how those vibrations can affect the bookshelves physically as well as sonically.
A well braced subwofer such as his vibrates very little.

SheepStar

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I know it's not a good idea to have speakers in a bookshelf. I am not the one that chose that setup. That's why I'm trying to change it. :)

Sheep's right about the sub vibrating very little. In fact, I can't feel any vibration unless I playing a super loud, low frequency scene such as the depth charges in U-571. Even then, it's very, very slight.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis