OK, DIY time, designed me a beast...

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
OK, so I got bored and wipped up a quick drawing in AutoCAD of a Sub that I might start on here pretty soon. I was thinking triple Dayton RSS315HF 12" 400 watt RMS subs, a Dayton HPSA1000 1000W Subwoofer Amp all in a 9 cubic foot enclosure...:D Anyway, Should make plenty of noise hehe. Its pretty much SVS/HSU layout, just almost 4 feet long...

Specs:

Driver

Dayton RSS315HF
Power handling: 400 watts RMS/700 watts max
VCdia: 2-1/2"
Le: .95 mH
Impedance: 4 ohms
Re: 3.3 ohms
Frequency range: 23 - 1,000 Hz
Fs: 23 Hz
SPL: 89 dB 2.83 V/1m
Vas: 3.00 cu. ft.
Qms: 3.00
Qes: .52
Qts: .44
Xmax: 14mm
Dimensions: A: 12-3/8", B: 11-1/8", C: 5-3/8".

Amp

Dayton HPSA1000
High power Class AB output stage
Patented tracking downconverter power supply
Full parametric bass EQ
Phase reversal switch
Auto On/Off
Advanced soft clip circuitry
Toroidal power supply transformer
Power output: 512 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 1024 watts RMS @ 4 ohms
S/N ratio: 98 dB (A-weighted)
Low-pass crossover: 30 - 200 Hz, 24 dB/octave
Auto On/Off
Dimensions: 11-15/16" W x 11-15/16" H x 5-1/4" D

Brett

Last edited:
R

Rik

Audioholic
Is your home owners insurance going to cover all the structural damage that sub will do to your house? :)

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
The only thing I am not sure on is port depth. As drawn they are 4" inside diamerter and 16" deep. I thought about having multi-legth port, like having the bottom most port 8" long, the middle one 14" long and the top one say 20" long. Not sure really. Planning on 3/4" to 1" MDF, lots of internal bracing and 1.5" "eggcrate" perimeter foam. The other thing I am not too sure about is the overal hight the subs sit at in relation to the reflection board, bottom plate, whatever you want to call it. I have it as 3" right now, but I think 2.5" may be better. Oh well, I think this thing is big enough for now:rolleyes:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The only issue I can see right now would be wiring. Since those woofers have a nominal Z of 4 ohms, you can't wire them all in parallel. Similarly, you can't wire them all in series. I would say for practicality reasons, either add another woofer or go with a twin-woofer setup.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
yeah, that was the other delima, 4 12's would be a little silly....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
bmccord said:
yeah, that was the other delima, 4 12's would be a little silly....
3-12's is silly! lol!

Why don't you make it sealed so you don't have to worry about port designs?

SheepStar

Edit: Flare those ports on both ends!

and, stuff that thing full of braces and...stuffing! :)

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
bmccord said:
....just almost 4 feet long....

Brett
I don't know what upper bandwidth, or with what crossover rate/type you plan to use, but 4' is a huge dimension. Such a dimension will probably cause a significant null centered at 70-80 Hz range (1/4 wavelength approximation of bottom woofer to top of enclosure and top woofer from bottom of enclosure bounce distance) and a significant resonant peak at 140Hz(1/2 wavelength mode of enclosure's largest dimension). To prevent these from occuring, you could build somes taggered solid shelves as breakup walls halfway up, or use about 6" of high density fiberglass compressed material on the top and bottom to prevent the 140Hz resonance(but you need the break-up walls to kill the 70Hz null). Of course, if you are going to cut the response at about 40Hz or lower with at least a 4th order crossover, then the above won't really matter.

-Chris

Last edited:
bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
OK, 3 drivers is a little huge. I used the same end proportion and then calculated a legth to make 6 cubic feet inside (as each driver requires 3 cu. ft.) This may work a little better and be easier to wire...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I can't remember the company, but they have a similar design....

They also have tunable ports, (3 of them too!)

I wish I could remember their name... :rolleyes:

SheepStar

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Even though I am not selling them or anything, I kinda feel like I am ripping them off. Does have a similar look don't it:p

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Anyone have an idea on how deep the ports should be at a 3" or 4" diameter in a dual 12" box?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
bmccord said:
Anyone have an idea on how deep the ports should be at a 3" or 4" diameter in a dual 12" box?
PM wMaX or WmAx or whatever his name is. I have been told he know boxes quite well.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis